Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

upgrade stock speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 12:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default upgrade stock speakers

I have a 2017 xlt sports crew cab. Planning to upgrade my stock speaker with a better sounds. I'm not planning to add any speakers just wanted to change the stock speakers. any suggestions?

Last edited by Vincent Batoon; 06-16-2017 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:20 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I didn't think you could get the Sony on anything lower than a Lariat?
Old 06-06-2017, 08:26 AM

I only upgraded the speakers (no amp or anything) on my XLT (non-sony).

The speakers I got are one of the cheaper quality options; Polk DB691's in the front and DB651S (slim) in the rear. From research here it looked like anything with a 90db or higher sensitivity would work well with the factory head unit. The treble is a bit bright and I can't get it perfect with the factory equalizer, but it's still a massive improvement over the factory speakers. I might swap out the 691's for a component set at some point, as I didn't think the factory head unit would work good with a component set, but a few people are running them off the factory head unit just fine.

Last edited by DogHauler; 06-11-2017 at 08:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DogHauler:
northwind (09-25-2018), Vincent Batoon (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, DogHauler! I will look into it.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:49 AM

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Kicker, Polk, pioneer, kenwood, alpine seem to be the popular choice. If you never intend to put an amp on the speakers and only the factory 15 watts from the indash then really its no need to get the higher end models from these manufacturers. The lower line models are 100% better than the crap paper speakers ford puts in the doors. A good poly cone with rubber surround to prevent water damage is all you need.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:00 PM

Received 200 Likes on 104 Posts

I just got these going to install this weekend $89.00 for the pair.

6"x9" 2-Way Coaxial Speakers
PART NUMBER: MCX69
12dB per octave crossover
MClip crossover mounting solution
0/-3dB tweeter adjustment
Lightweight carbon fiber cone
Swivel mount aluminum alloy tweeter
Attached Thumbnails upgrade stock speakers-getimage.ashx.png  
Old 06-09-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a '17 XLT with the Kicker sub, (but not the Kicker VSS) and after getting home was not happy with the sound. The high's and mids were muffled sounding.
I called Crutchfield to ask if it was possible to upgrade from the kicker sub to the VSS (they sell both to add to your truck). It is not possible without replacing the whole thing. But they suggested I just replace the front door speakers. They suggested Infinity Reference to match the factory amp and subwoofer.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R96...g&awug=1026481

Wow what a difference! Sounds great now. Install was easy with the step by step vehicle directions Crutchfield included. Took me about 30 minutes to install the first side and 15 for the second side.

Crutchfield did recommend I replace the rear door speakers also if I wanted it to sound good in the back seat- since the kids have headphones on most of the time anyway I just did the front. I haven't figured out yet why the kids don't listen to my music......
The following users liked this post:
bcremer (08-14-2021)
Old 06-09-2017, 11:44 PM

Texas, Kicker does sell a speaker only kit. One of the vendors here sells it, I forget which one.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2cents is I have never cared for 6x9 I personally think even a cheaper component set on a plate in the door will be best and will be what goes in my truck, but to each their own
Old 06-14-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I personally haven't upgraded my f-150's speakers yet but have experience with both comonpent and coaxial speakers that fit this truck. In my previous car I had JL audio C2 5x7 speakers. I had tested a bunch of other 6x8 and 5x7 models before purchasing them and found a 5x7 is more responsive on mids and highs. Because I was running subs I wasn't too concerned about the lows that came from them. If I had decided I was never going to put subs in the car I would have gone with either an alpine type r because of the awesome high end response and the clean low end or I would have gone with an Infinty Kappa's for the same reasons. I know a lot of times when people upgrade just their speakers they feel they should get a much better low end response but a lot of the time that falls short. If you find this happens when you upgrade your speakers my number one suggestion to resolving this would be doing some sound proofing in the doors. This will help with road noise, vibrations and sound response. I do installs on the side for fun and my buddy wanted to see how significant of a difference sound proofing would be before he changed anything on his factory system. Let me tell you it was a night and day change. I know I rambled a bit but hope this helps you out.

Ben
The following 3 users liked this post by Visser6:
AdamD76 (08-03-2020), FrdCrzy18 (12-19-2020), Higrpwd (06-16-2017)

Quick Reply: upgrade stock speakers