Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Upgrade Speakers to get better sound?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 06:54 AM

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Upgrade Speakers to get better sound?

I was looking at the options and I know Sony doesn't have a good name for speakers. I am curious is it better to save money, by not getting the Sony stereo and speakers and opting to replace the speakers alone, while keeping the stock head unit? I am more interested in sound quality and I am not one to listen to music loud. I love hearing the depth and range of a good system. Is an amp just for putting out more sound? I have yet to get a F-150, though I am looking at the 2017 Lariat.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:50 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by solarity
I was looking at the options and I know Sony doesn't have a good name for speakers. I am curious is it better to save money, by not getting the Sony stereo and speakers and opting to replace the speakers alone, while keeping the stock head unit? I am more interested in sound quality and I am not one to listen to music loud. I love hearing the depth and range of a good system. Is an amp just for putting out more sound? I have yet to get a F-150, though I am looking at the 2017 Lariat.
I would suggest going to the dealership and listening to the Sony.
You can replace the speakers if you choose. The Sony factory amp also has the crossovers in it for each speaker. If you aren't into doing a custom install then I would stick with the factory setup. You really should go listen to one at the dealership.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:21 AM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Depending on trim level, factory sony system has an integrated amp.

Head units put out ~20w a channel but it isn't very clean power. Gets distorted really easily. Aftermarket amps are able to put out more power, and do it cleaner without distortion if set up properly.

Go to a dealership and check out the new ones. Personally I think the factory sony setups are garbage. Lack depth and range, have god awful imaging. With a Lariat, you're going to have the big fancy sony setup with the integrated amp. If you're a pretty big audio enthusiast, you'll be disappointed. Casual listener, it'll be good enough. If you're wanting leather and stuff, you can find XLT's optioned pretty well with the base model stereos if you look long enough.

Just an FYI though, these new trucks are EXPENSIVE to do custom installs in. Everything is integrated anymore. Molex door connectors too make it a pain to run aftermarket gear into the doors. Dash kits, wiring harness adapters, you can have like $500 tied up in it there. Sticking with the factory head unit and doing aftermarket amps via a processor isn't much cheaper either. Still going to tie up $500+ in a nice processor there too. And a lot of the time, the factory sync system doesn't like to play along very nicely....
Old 11-02-2016, 08:28 AM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

I have the Sony setup. Stock it sounded pretty good. Aftermarket is much better but to my tired old ears it is good. The sub is lacking though. I did change the door speakers to Polks and added a powered sub. Sounds much better.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:59 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

the sony system sounds meh to.really good depending on the source. sirius was just ok but hd stations were excellent