Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Updating Complete System (2003)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updating Complete System (2003)

Ok, so in the next couple months I would like to completely upgrade my 2003 F150 Extended Cab's sound system. I don't have much knowledge of audio, so I need some help. My dad's shop can help me hook it up, so I don't need to add install fees to my budget.

First, I want a subwoofer. I don't want window-shattering, mind blowing bass, so I figured a single 10" sub would do fine. Plus, I want to keep some storage space and the jack under the back seat. I listen to the whole spectrum of genres, but 80% of the time, I am listening to metal or punk rock. That means I need tight bass response that can handle some extreme double bass and distorted instruments. I am willing to spend $300 on a sub setup.

Next, I need some new (front passenger and drivers side) speakers. Nothing too fancy, and I would rather not have to hook up an amp to them. I'm honestly just looking for any upgrade from the stock setup. I want to spend up to $100 on these speakers.

Lastly, I want a touch screen head unit. I honestly don't know which brands have a good interface or touch response, so any help would be appreciated. I'll have $200-250 to spend on this stereo.

Thanks for any help, and sorry the post was a little long winded. I just want the best setup for my budget and need.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:26 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh_TX
Ok, so in the next couple months I would like to completely upgrade my 2003 F150 Extended Cab's sound system. I don't have much knowledge of audio, so I need some help. My dad's shop can help me hook it up, so I don't need to add install fees to my budget.

First, I want a subwoofer. I don't want window-shattering, mind blowing bass, so I figured a single 10" sub would do fine. Plus, I want to keep some storage space and the jack under the back seat. I listen to the whole spectrum of genres, but 80% of the time, I am listening to metal or punk rock. That means I need tight bass response that can handle some extreme double bass and distorted instruments. I am willing to spend $300 on a sub setup.

Next, I need some new (front passenger and drivers side) speakers. Nothing too fancy, and I would rather not have to hook up an amp to them. I'm honestly just looking for any upgrade from the stock setup. I want to spend up to $100 on these speakers.

Lastly, I want a touch screen head unit. I honestly don't know which brands have a good interface or touch response, so any help would be appreciated. I'll have $200-250 to spend on this stereo.

Thanks for any help, and sorry the post was a little long winded. I just want the best setup for my budget and need.
I had a 10" Polk sub I bought from Best Buy, 4 Kicker door speakers and a Kenwood DDX-470 HU in my 2011. Good sound and they should fit your budget. You will also need a box and an amp for the sub. A box can be found on eBay.

Quick Reply: Updating Complete System (2003)