Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Upcoming Install in 2018 STX SCREW 8" screen non sony 6 speaker

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 11:11 PM
Bobby J

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Upcoming Install in 2018 STX SCREW 8" screen non sony 6 speaker

Hey all -

I'm currently in the process of planning out an upgrade for to my stock stereo. Here is what i've decided on so far.

Front Speaker - Infinity REF-9630cx
Rear Speaker - Infinity REF-6532ex
Speaker Amp - JL Audio XD400/4v2

As for the the Sub/Amp i'm back and forth between an under seat vs. behind the seat sub. I like good clean accurate punchy bass. Mostly listen to classic rock and alternative stuff. Really want to go with JL with the sub/amp. Would love to do 2 10s if possible as long as it didn't stick out from underneath the seats. Maybe even 2 8s if that isn't possible. After i decide on an option, i'll choose an appropriate amp to power the sub/subs. Any recommendations or advice much appreciated. I know there are many prefab JL options out there...but i can't decide.

I ordered the FOR-11CK so i won't have to cut wires coming out of the ACM.

I plan on making the FORSCAN mod to enable low-level RCA outputs out of the ACM to my amps and remove any EQ/DSP from the head unit.

Will most likely run a 1/0 gauge wire to a distribution block in the back, then 4 gauge to each amp. (is this too much? or could i go with 4 gauge from the battery?) I'm sure that depends on what amp i run with my sub(s).

Any other MAJOR components i'm going to need other than RCA's/Speaker wire/fuses etc?

When i get around to doing this (probably next week), i'll post pictures and results.
The following users liked this post:
STF15.0 (01-28-2021)
Old 05-08-2018, 10:13 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rjones02
Hey all -

I'm currently in the process of planning out an upgrade for to my stock stereo. Here is what i've decided on so far.

Front Speaker - Infinity REF-9630cx
Rear Speaker - Infinity REF-6532ex
Speaker Amp - JL Audio XD400/4v2

As for the the Sub/Amp i'm back and forth between an under seat vs. behind the seat sub. I like good clean accurate punchy bass. Mostly listen to classic rock and alternative stuff. Really want to go with JL with the sub/amp. Would love to do 2 10s if possible as long as it didn't stick out from underneath the seats. Maybe even 2 8s if that isn't possible. After i decide on an option, i'll choose an appropriate amp to power the sub/subs. Any recommendations or advice much appreciated. I know there are many prefab JL options out there...but i can't decide.

I ordered the FOR-11CK so i won't have to cut wires coming out of the ACM.

I plan on making the FORSCAN mod to enable low-level RCA outputs out of the ACM to my amps and remove any EQ/DSP from the head unit.

Will most likely run a 1/0 gauge wire to a distribution block in the back, then 4 gauge to each amp. (is this too much? or could i go with 4 gauge from the battery?) I'm sure that depends on what amp i run with my sub(s).

Any other MAJOR components i'm going to need other than RCA's/Speaker wire/fuses etc?

When i get around to doing this (probably next week), i'll post pictures and results.

0/1 gauge is probably a bit overkill, but it's not going to hurt anything except you wallet. You'll need some speaker wire to connect you tweets back to wherever you mount your crossover. There is no dedicated line for them coming out of the factory radio or FOR-11CK. The stock tweets are run in parallel with the front doors. As far as mounting the tweets, you'll need to come up with something if you plan to use the factory tweet location. I uses some plastic pipe strap.
The following users liked this post:
rjones02 (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 11:56 AM
Bobby J

Originally Posted by TommyBoy2017
0/1 gauge is probably a bit overkill, but it's not going to hurt anything except you wallet. You'll need some speaker wire to connect you tweets back to wherever you mount your crossover. There is no dedicated line for them coming out of the factory radio or FOR-11CK. The stock tweets are run in parallel with the front doors. As far as mounting the tweets, you'll need to come up with something if you plan to use the factory tweet location. I uses some plastic pipe strap.
TommyBoy - Thanks for the input.

Ya, i had a feeling this was the case with the tweeters. Is there a factory crossover? or do they just feed the same signal to the mids and tweeters in the front? Crutchfield mentions for these particular speakers that i will need to rig up something to make the tweeters fit in the A pillar. I'll cross that bridge when i come to it. I have an installer helping me throughout the whole process, so i'm sure he'll be able to figure it out.

Quick noob question for you or anyone else...When i convert all of the speaker leads coming out of the back of the HU to low level through ForScan...I will have to convert those wires to RCA and run to amps in the back. So there will be a positive and negative for front left and a positive/negative for front right. The input on the amp for front channels will consist of 2 RCA plugs. How do I go from 4 wires down to two? Same for the rear channels. I apologize if this is a dumb question.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

There is no factory crossover. The front doors and A pillar tweeters feed off the same wires.

RCAs have 2 wires in them one for the outside conductor and one from the center conductor.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:07 PM
Bobby J

Originally Posted by TommyBoy2017
There is no factory crossover. The front doors and A pillar tweeters feed off the same wires.

RCAs have 2 wires in them one for the outside conductor and one from the center conductor.
Ahh...that makes sense. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:02 PM
S Tucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever finish? Have any problems?

Quick Reply: Upcoming Install in 2018 STX SCREW 8" screen non sony 6 speaker