Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Which tablet head unit should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Which tablet head unit should I get?

Got a 2016 Screw and need to replace the radio with a double din tablet, I'll be using the Scosche radio dash kit to make it work, which will allow me to fit any double din.

I plan to wire it to a back up camera, largest screen I can get away with and it needs to connect to my iPhone, apple car play would be awesome.

trying to sort through all the Chinese crap out there is tough, figured I'd ask y'all.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:05 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgfan54
Got a 2016 Screw and need to replace the radio with a double din tablet, I'll be using the Scosche radio dash kit to make it work, which will allow me to fit any double din.

I plan to wire it to a back up camera, largest screen I can get away with and it needs to connect to my iPhone, apple car play would be awesome.

trying to sort through all the Chinese crap out there is tough, figured I'd ask y'all.
I would stay away from Chinese and go with Pioneer or a brand name like Kenwood
Old 01-22-2017, 07:54 PM

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I would suggest you get the new Joying units. You will have to trim the opening on the Scosche kit. It just installed this in my truck last week. I did a lot of research and the Joying units have the most functional compromises between tablet and HU functions. There is a whole community over on xda developers.

I couldn't be happier. This setup provides far more functionality without the restrictions of Pioneer, Kenwood, etc..

There are always compromises with any choice so you should figure out what's best for you. For me it's amazing to run android and apps natively without any reliance on my phone. All you need is a wifi connection. Of course you can use your phone to tether to get that wifi connection. As soon as I get a few for things finalized, I will be posting a full write-up.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:48 PM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

dawgfan54,

Do yourself and your wallet a favor and stay away from those Chinese head units including the one called Joyling.

You live in GA just like me so there are plenty of reputable car audio shops that can give you sound advice without ripping you off.

You can Google cheap Chinese Double Din head units and read all the bad reviews where people were happy with them in the beginning but after a couple of months or a few weeks, it was all down hill.

Stay with the brands like Sony, Kenwwod, Pioneer, or Alpine and you`ll be safe.

Yes, they cost more but quality and more important manufacturer support is what you`re paying for.

On the other end of the scale, if you want to go all out and get something thats better than everything I mentioned, go with an iPad Mini and a bluetooth rear view camera.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:00 PM

There is no need to campaign against something you know nothing about. You can Google f150 and find just as many bad reviews. Yes, there are some crappy chines units. There are also some crappy Pioneer and Kenwood units.

Show me a pioneer or Kenwood head unit that can run just about any Android app and that has wifi built-in. How about being able to use any Android launcher and being able to map the steering buttons to the functions you really want. There are reasons to choose an Android head unit and biased opinions don't help.

I had a Chinese navigation unit that piggy backed to the APIM before replacing the whole system. A few people called it Chinese junk. Funny thing is it worked far better than the factory navigation ever could. It had adequate cpu and memory to not dog out when using the usb drive and navigation together.

Android auto and Apple Car Play are not even 1/10th as capable as a full android head unit. The new joying units have 2gb of RAM AND 32gb of storage for under $300. Not sure how you see a $500 pioneer that has half the function as a better deal.

It's all about what you want to do with it. Also, the components in these Chinese units are repairable and replaceable. I could go on but hopefully somebody gets the point. For the price you pay and the functions you get they are a solid choice. In my case it was the only real choice as the name brand units are all proprietary and locked down. They are also underpowered as far as cpu and ram.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by naplesbill
There is no need to campaign against something you know nothing about. You can Google f150 and find just as many bad reviews. Yes, there are some crappy chines units. There are also some crappy Pioneer and Kenwood units.

Show me a pioneer or Kenwood head unit that can run just about any Android app and that has wifi built-in. How about being able to use any Android launcher and being able to map the steering buttons to the functions you really want. There are reasons to choose an Android head unit and biased opinions don't help.

I had a Chinese navigation unit that piggy backed to the APIM before replacing the whole system. A few people called it Chinese junk. Funny thing is it worked far better than the factory navigation ever could. It had adequate cpu and memory to not dog out when using the usb drive and navigation together.

Android auto and Apple Car Play are not even 1/10th as capable as a full android head unit. The new joying units have 2gb of RAM AND 32gb of storage for under $300. Not sure how you see a $500 pioneer that has half the function as a better deal.

It's all about what you want to do with it. Also, the components in these Chinese units are repairable and replaceable. I could go on but hopefully somebody gets the point. For the price you pay and the functions you get they are a solid choice. In my case it was the only real choice as the name brand units are all proprietary and locked down. They are also underpowered as far as cpu and ram.
I know more about these units than you think I do so don`t say that i`m campaigning against these Chinese units.

Also, at no point and time in my previous post did I ever say that the more well known brands do not have problems. It`s ok for you to enjoy and justify your purchase of one but if you think that they are built better than the brands that I mentioned, then you just continue to believe that.

You gave your opinion on the Joying unit to the OP and I also gave my opinion on these type of units. I`m sure the original poster appreciates both points of view and ultimately it`s his decision.

In closing, at the end of my posting, I also suggested the ultimate head unit just in case he already has and iPad mini but I guess you also think your Joying unit is superior to that as well.

Have a good day.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:47 AM

Very interesting that you replied to my posting about the Chinese head units first but you didn`t reply to the other Senior Member who said exactly what I said but he said it first.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:54 AM

You can claim whatever you wish but when you categorically refer to all Chinese branded devices you are clearly campaigning against them.

What do you really know about these joying units? What are the current complaints about the 2GB units? I appreciate the value that a Pioneer or Kenwood HU brings to the table in some respects. I also understand what they do not do.

There are a very large number of crappy Chinese branded HUs. But to blast them all as equal means we should regard all name brand HUs as if they are Dual or Jensen. This is why I replied to your post. This is also why I claimed bias without understanding.

Honestly, what I have seen from Joying support is they listen to their customers as much as possible and resolve issues that are software based. They do not always have an answer but a couple of times already on the new 2GB units they were able to resolve something they initially thought was normal. They have provided software updates in an expedient manner to resolve these problems for their customers. They are not perfect, often there is a language barrier or lack of understanding a regional issue.

The bottom line though, this is essentially putting a tablet as your HU. In the case of the new 2GB Joying units. A very smooth performing tablet with plenty of RAM and storage. The audio output is clearly better than OEM but I imagine there may be some shortcomings if it were bench tested and compared to a Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine or other higher end HU.

It all depends on what you need or want the most. There is no way any of the major brands can compete from a software functionality standpoint at this time. Even an iPad mini will not be able to be manipulated in the way an Android device can. So, there is no reason to bad mouth an entire portion of an industry in a blanket statement.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:27 AM

Well,

Like I said, if you`re happy with your Joying/Chinese tablet, then more power to you but you also said in your previous reply that you had one of these Chinese units. If that unit failed, I highly doubt you`d say so and thats ok.

You can spend your money as you choose and I hope you never have any problems with your Joying purchase.

In closing, the iPad is a far superior product to your Joying tablet........It`s not even close and no reasonable person would ever think that it is.

Yes, i`m sure the audio output of your table is better than OEM but the audio out of the iPad is better than your tablet.

Better support, Apps, build quality, picture, LTE, etc, etc, etc.

Ok, no more replies from me on this matter because we both have our own opinions.

I wish you a great day.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:29 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Sheesh, Apple fan much? The iPad is so neutered it would be the last tablet I would ever consider lol