Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Subwoofer(s) for my Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Subwoofer(s) for my Amp?

I am building the following system so far;

Stock HU (Sony NAV System)
Polk Audio MM6501 - Fronts
Polk Audio DB571 - Rears
JL Audio XD700/5
JL Audio Cleansweep & SSI (sale pending)

I would like some opinions on what subwoofer(s) to get to run off this amp. I was considering one 10w0v3 woofer in a homemade sealed box, but seen someone else on here ran 2 10w1v2s on the same amp?

I would appreciate any opinions on this.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2012, 12:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What kind of music do you listen to?

If rap or pop, then go with a ported box. If rock, jazz, or country go with a sealed box.

2 10's ... wow. That'd take a lot of air volume. I have 1 8" in a sealed box and it took one cuft of air. That doesn't sound like much but if you're trying to hide the box behind or under seats, size definitely becomes an issue.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:18 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Take a look at the JL 10TW3 (announced at 2012 CES not sure if released yet). Also the Alpine SWRT10 & Pioneer ibFlats. I have heard some MTX and Kicker CompVTs and both sounded good. These all have pretty low cuft requirements you could easily fit 2 of any of these 10's under the rear seat. (I have 3 Pioneer 12" ibFlats in a sealed box under mine).

The XD700/5 is stable at 2ohms so a pair of 4ohm 10's wired in parallel would work fine. My buddy is running the same amp in his jeep with a pair of 10s in a sealed box and it sounds great.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:27 AM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeBoost
Take a look at the JL 10TW3 (announced at 2012 CES not sure if released yet). Also the Alpine SWRT10 & Pioneer ibFlats. I have heard some MTX and Kicker CompVTs and both sounded good. These all have pretty low cuft requirements you could easily fit 2 of any of these 10's under the rear seat. (I have 3 Pioneer 12" ibFlats in a sealed box under mine).

The XD700/5 is stable at 2ohms so a pair of 4ohm 10's wired in parallel would work fine. My buddy is running the same amp in his jeep with a pair of 10s in a sealed box and it sounds great.
Do you know the height of your seat to the floor? I am not real familiar with the 09- up models. The SWR 10" alipines need about 6" of top mount death so they can be tricky when installing. Especially since the woofer baffle is 3/4" and Xmaxx is around 20mm. That makes the install take about 7.5 -8" assuming you install the magnet almost directly near the back of the box(not recommended for vented magnets).
Old 04-29-2012, 12:55 AM

If I recall it varies from 4.75 at rear, around 6.75 in the middle and around 9" at front edge. I would have to measure box -forget my actual numbers. The subs almost touch but only along the "spine" of the box where it indents to clear the underside of the seat. They are pretty much installed right at the front edge of the box minus the .75 mdf thickness. Cant see it in the pic but they are also at an angle so they are firing slightly forward.
Attached Thumbnails Subwoofer(s) for my Amp?-img_0273.jpg  
Old 04-29-2012, 12:59 AM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Very informative Joe, thanks. I would think you should be able to fit the Type R's with doing some routing and countersinking then. I had to lift the seat on my 03 Scab and countersinked them about 1/4" to get a TIGHT fit. But the newer trucks seem to have quite a bit more space and have that tilted angle. Do you know the dimensions on your subs?

Originally Posted by JoeBoost
If I recall it varies from 4.75 at rear, around 6.75 in the middle and around 9" at front edge. I would have to measure box -forget my actual numbers. The subs almost touch but only along the "spine" of the box where it indents to clear the underside of the seat. They are pretty much installed right at the front edge of the box minus the .75 mdf thickness. Cant see it in the pic but they are also at an angle so they are firing slightly forward.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:11 AM

3.25" top mount depth and 11" cutout. .5 min cuft ea. and my box is around 1.9 cuft. I had to calculate it a couple ways but Im pretty sure its fairly close. Joe and the subs are happy so far
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

I was looking at the Alpines and was ready to pull the trigger but a buddy decided to upgrade from the Pioneer 12s to Fosgate 15s so I jumped on them. Was trying for the longest time to get some Stereo Integrity's BM MKII's but they are hard to come by and they haven't released the new model yet. http://www.stereointegrity.com/ They will be my next subs when released.

Last edited by JoeBoost; 04-29-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That new 10TW3 looks nice. I may have to wait for that to be released.
Got my new speakers installed this weekend.

The factory speakers

Last edited by SteveY; 04-29-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer(s) for my Amp?