Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Sub Testing

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 07:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sub Testing

Originally Posted by Guinness68
... The system screams! But my sub still sounds poor. It rattles the cab, it just can't go low (40-60hz range). I have the Fc at 30hz. I can't get a good quick thump. And I have maxed out the 40hz boost on the amp (which is what it was in my last setup).

I can't tell if it's the processor OR the sub itself. The driver in another/old enclosure sounded great. It was Tight, and Low. Now, in the new enclosure it is muddy at best.

How to test/figure out the source... is it the enclosure or the processor?
I had this posted in my PXE thread, but it is more of a separate topic, and therefore I've pulled it out.

I downloaded files to play 20hz to 200hz. I hope I can figure this out.

Suggestions welcome!

The stock HU does produce 20-20k, right?
Attached Thumbnails Sub Testing-img_0565..30..jpg  
Old 07-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Race Red '12 XLT SCrew EB

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Assuming the box is the correct size for the sub...Check your wiring to the speaker. If everything there is hooked up right, flip the + and - to your sub. It could be out of phase with the natural harmonics of your car.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:42 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Guinness68
The stock HU does produce 20-20k, right?
Not sure with the 09+ base HU, but some stock systems roll off deep bass when volume increases, could be the culprit. You're PXE-H660 should be correcting that, though.

What sources have you used? IIRC, some mp3 encoders drop high and low end info to save file size.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:46 PM

@GatorB8
I'm predominately using music from my ipod. The same tunes that sounded great on my old system. I remember what that sub used to sound like with particular songs.

@EBinMT
That's an interesting idea. I'll invert it and see what happens.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:59 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Not sure about Android, but some of the iOs frequency analyzer apps were supposed to be fairly accurate with the onboard or headphone mic. May be a cheap tool to help judge what's going on.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:59 PM

I had it happen in a cavalier. Subs moved massive air but very little output. Checked all the wiring and all was ok. Scratched my head and decided to try this and viola! Bass. Hope it works for you.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 PM

I haven't inverted yet, but I did play the wav files.

The sub was able to produce 20 on up. At 40 it was really loud, so I turned down the 40hz boost I have on the amp.

I think after I invert it, i'll try adding more poly fill.

Or take it to a shop and have them mess with it.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by EBinMT
I had it happen in a cavalier. Subs moved massive air but very little output. Checked all the wiring and all was ok. Scratched my head and decided to try this and viola! Bass. Hope it works for you.
Sure that wasn't phase cancellation from having one of the subs out of phase? I have never heard of a vehicles natural harmonics (actually it would be resonance) canceling out a frequency range especially in the subsonic range. I have heard exhaust drone cause resonance in panels in upper bands at certain rpm's. I am interested in seeing if just putting the sub out phase has an effect.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by JoeBoost
Sure that wasn't phase cancellation from having one of the subs out of phase? I have never heard of a vehicles natural harmonics (actually it would be resonance) canceling out a frequency range especially in the subsonic range. I have heard exhaust drone cause resonance in panels in upper bands at certain rpm's. I am interested in seeing if just putting the sub out phase has an effect.
Positive. That was the first thing I checked, then checked again. I was at wits end trying to figure out why they were moving air but sounded weak and like garbage. On a whim I inverted before I started to take everything back down. Glad I did.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:32 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by EBinMT
Positive. That was the first thing I checked, then checked again. I was at wits end trying to figure out why they were moving air but sounded weak and like garbage. On a whim I inverted before I started to take everything back down. Glad I did.
Wouldnt have thought that but cool learn something new every day

Quick Reply: Sub Testing