Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Stock Sony Amplifier Lost Front Left Channel - Need to Replace/Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock Sony Amplifier Lost Front Left Channel - Need to Replace/Upgrade

I need the Forum's help/suggestions. I have a 2009 Ford F150 FX4 with the Sony Nav system, but the stock Sony amp (Ford part number 9L3T-18B849-AK, Sony Model Number ML318B849AA) seems to have a blown front left channel. I've swapped speakers and the issue stays isolated to the front left door, meaning the front left speaker works when installed in other doors, but whatever speaker I install in the front left door fails to work. I had a shop check the wiring, which they said all looks fine.

My thought is I should just change out the stock amp, but I can't seem to find an exact match online. There are several amps being wrecked out of vehicles that nearly match the part number and look like they have the correct plugs, but the model/part numbers don't match exactly. Now I'm trying to read through the forum here to find an easy way to replace the amp with something aftermarket, or if I should just buy a used amp and see if it works, but I'd rather not throw away $60(+/-). I'm not a huge audiophile, so the stock performance was adequate. I just want all speakers working.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

The Sony amp does more than just amplify. It has the speaker crossovers built in and converts the digital signal from the HU to an analog signal for the speakers. You could check with the dealer.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks Wyo11Scab

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
The Sony amp does more than just amplify. It has the speaker crossovers built in and converts the digital signal from the HU to an analog signal for the speakers. You could check with the dealer.
Hi Wyo11Scab, thanks for your input. I'm not fond of the local dealer by any stretch of the imagination, so avoiding them at all costs.
The following users liked this post:
Wyo11Scab (09-16-2020)
Old 05-31-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Farnes
Hi Wyo11Scab, thanks for your input. I'm not fond of the local dealer by any stretch of the imagination, so avoiding them at all costs.
Unless you are able to find a used amp with the same part number then your only option would be to contact the dealer and see if another part will work
Old 09-15-2020, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever resolve this issue? I'm having a similar problem in my 2011 F-150 (Sony system w/o Nav). I've already purchased 4 new speakers and the issue is isolated at the rear driver-side door. I'm considering buying a used stock amplifier off eBay and swapping it in to see if that improves anything, but wanted to poke around the forums more first. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2020, 05:59 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Originally Posted by ricekrispy
Did you ever resolve this issue? I'm having a similar problem in my 2011 F-150 (Sony system w/o Nav). I've already purchased 4 new speakers and the issue is isolated at the rear driver-side door. I'm considering buying a used stock amplifier off eBay and swapping it in to see if that improves anything, but wanted to poke around the forums more first. Thanks!
Did you check the wires in the door jam, they have been known to break.
Also if you used the metra speaker adapters, those have been known to cause these type of issues as well.