Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Stock Headunit questions/speaker replacement for 2000 F150!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Headunit questions/speaker replacement for 2000 F150!

Hey everyone I'm new here and I browsed around on this forum and everyone seems really knowledgeable, so I have a few questions!
first, I have a 2000 F150 extended cab, and I want to replace the sound system. It sucks, terribly.
I want to replace the front speakers (which are 5x7 and the rears are 6x8 correct?) with the 5x7 Boston Acoustics SL80 speakers (http://www.explorerforum.com/reviewp...ct/288/cat/all) they seem really good. However, my stock headunit will limit them no? And will the stock headunit reduce the pure quality of the sound for the speakers? Should I buy an aftermarket deck like Alpine? I heard that Ford's have a stock amp that is a real pain to wire and figure out, is this true? I do not plan on connecting a sub whatsoever either. and lastly, is it worth replacing the stock rear speakers as well? Or just replace the fronts.
Anyone had some experience with the Boston Accoustics SL80? They seem like a decently high quality speaker for the price.
Thanks everyone for your time and help, I really appreciate it! =)
Old 02-25-2009, 12:20 AM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your 2000 may have a stock amp, yes they are 5x7/6x8, yes the stock deck will limit the clarity and quality of the speakers by far, no its not a pain to wire up, alpines are nice but i would go with a kenwood for price...to get a good alpine you gotta pay more than you do for a good kenwood. its always a good idea to replace the stock wire, i wouldnt do it unless your putting in a 4 channel down the road, if you arnt do it now, if you are wait till then
Old 02-25-2009, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by loganberry
your 2000 may have a stock amp, yes they are 5x7/6x8, yes the stock deck will limit the clarity and quality of the speakers by far, no its not a pain to wire up, alpines are nice but i would go with a kenwood for price...to get a good alpine you gotta pay more than you do for a good kenwood. its always a good idea to replace the stock wire, i wouldnt do it unless your putting in a 4 channel down the road, if you arnt do it now, if you are wait till then
Its not a pain to wire up? How do you wire in an aftermarket deck? And i'm not looking at alpine, I'm looking at Boston Accoustic speakers.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Car Audio Junkie

you just get a wiring harness for your vehicle...its very easy to put in
Old 02-25-2009, 02:58 PM

you just get a wiring harness for your vehicle...its very easy to put in
so essentially what you're saying is, I buy a wiring harness for a Ford F150 for an aftermarket deck. Like this? (http://cgi.ebay.ca/98-05-FORD-STEREO...240%3A1318)???

I then pull out the stock headunit (it has a stock CD changer as well), then connect the plugs directly into factory harness and the other end attaches to aftermarket stereo? Then wire in the new deck? And at the same time wire in the new Boston Accoustic speakers I will buy? Doesn't it have a factory amp that you have to bypass or connect up?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Car Audio Junkie

yes, that plugs into your factory harness then you use the harness that comes with your aftermarket deck to attatch it to that...its easy
Old 02-25-2009, 09:27 PM

yes, that plugs into your factory harness then you use the harness that comes with your aftermarket deck to attatch it to that...its easy
really? so i don't have to worry about an amp or anything??
Old 02-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Car Audio Junkie

not unless you want more power going to your aftermarket speakers, that can be added down the road
Old 02-25-2009, 09:38 PM

not unless you want more power going to your aftermarket speakers, that can be added down the road
so do all aftermarket decks come with a wiring harness? or do i just need to buy that harness?
Old 02-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Car Audio Junkie

all deck's come with a harness, but its up to you to get the one to make it work with your factory wiring

Quick Reply: Stock Headunit questions/speaker replacement for 2000 F150!