Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

stock head unit question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stock head unit question

I have a 2000 lariat with the stock am/fm/cassette/6 disk(or maybe it's 5?) changer. I just bought the truck, I'm still tinkering with it trying to find the things I need to fix or want to change. I discovered the other day that this device is apparently a speaker saver. It shuts down immediately as soon as it detects a load that may damage the speakers,and then comes right back on. It only does this past a certain volume level, which is around 1/3 power ( or less, if I crank the bass up to max). My 01 Mustang had a similar feature on the Mach 460 head unit,but it didn't shut down,it just wouldn't allow the volume to exceed a certain output. Is there any fix or work around for this, besides replacing the unit? So far, I like it, and with the cassette adapter for my MP3 player, I have the audio options covered. It's just that sometimes, you gotta play it louder than common sense advises, and unfortunately, common sense has manifest itself in the form of my stereo. Thanks, guys for any suggestions on this.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:06 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by crackerbear
I have a 2000 lariat with the stock am/fm/cassette/6 disk(or maybe it's 5?) changer. I just bought the truck, I'm still tinkering with it trying to find the things I need to fix or want to change. I discovered the other day that this device is apparently a speaker saver. It shuts down immediately as soon as it detects a load that may damage the speakers,and then comes right back on. It only does this past a certain volume level, which is around 1/3 power ( or less, if I crank the bass up to max). My 01 Mustang had a similar feature on the Mach 460 head unit,but it didn't shut down,it just wouldn't allow the volume to exceed a certain output. Is there any fix or work around for this, besides replacing the unit? So far, I like it, and with the cassette adapter for my MP3 player, I have the audio options covered. It's just that sometimes, you gotta play it louder than common sense advises, and unfortunately, common sense has manifest itself in the form of my stereo. Thanks, guys for any suggestions on this.
Don't think its a speaker saver. Sounds like a short in the amp.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, that's a start. Can you tell me where the amp is, and what the best fix for that is? Thanks for the reply, BTW.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:10 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by crackerbear
Okay, that's a start. Can you tell me where the amp is, and what the best fix for that is? Thanks for the reply, BTW.
Probably built into the radio. Just replace the whole unit.

Quick Reply: stock head unit question