Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Install In a SCAB?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 09:04 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Install In a SCAB?

I just replaced my 2WD 2009 XLT SCAB I bought new in with a 4WD 2010 Lariat SCAB. Wife has a 2011 Milan which has Sony sound and I'd be OK with that if this truck had it but for some reason that's about the only option it doesn't have. I know that system isn't real highly regarded but my vehicles sit in airport and hotel parking lots and anything I do needs to be very discrete so I'd never consider a head unit swap or large-ish sub box.

For speakers, I'm moving the Boston 5x7's from the old truck's rear doors to the same position in the new truck. Old truck had Polk DB6501 6.5" components in the front and I bought a new set of those for the new truck. The tweeters go in the triangular area behind the mirrors and looked pretty stock as they have similar styling to the HVAC vents. No amp.

Overall I was happy with that arrangement except for a lack of bass so I also ordered one of the Sound Ordnance B-8PTD subs but I have some install questions.

First, anyone install one behind the rear seat? I saw some pics of a pair installed behind a SCREW rear seat--not sure if the rear seat is the same or different?

Second, my original plan was to install under the passenger rear seat, where the factory sub would be. My Weathertech mat has a cutout line for the factor sub and will accommodate this. Anyone made some kind of cover? Thinking it could be as simple as a slip cover made from speaker box carpet and a velcro dot on each corner to keep it in place--just something to make it a little more discrete but it would be nice to add a little protection at the same time. It won't fit under a front seat due to power seats.

Last, speaker level inputs or buy one of the PAC AOEM-FRD24's? Any real difference there? If I use speaker level inputs, is there a good place in the rear of the truck to tap in?

Guess one more thing--I ordered bass blockers for the door speakers, kind of guessed at 100hz. Did I make a mistake there?
Old 01-30-2014, 10:33 AM

Received 487 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by matt_m
I just replaced my 2WD 2009 XLT SCAB I bought new in with a 4WD 2010 Lariat SCAB. Wife has a 2011 Milan which has Sony sound and I'd be OK with that if this truck had it but for some reason that's about the only option it doesn't have. I know that system isn't real highly regarded but my vehicles sit in airport and hotel parking lots and anything I do needs to be very discrete so I'd never consider a head unit swap or large-ish sub box.

For speakers, I'm moving the Boston 5x7's from the old truck's rear doors to the same position in the new truck. Old truck had Polk DB6501 6.5" components in the front and I bought a new set of those for the new truck. The tweeters go in the triangular area behind the mirrors and looked pretty stock as they have similar styling to the HVAC vents. No amp.

Overall I was happy with that arrangement except for a lack of bass so I also ordered one of the Sound Ordnance B-8PTD subs but I have some install questions.

First, anyone install one behind the rear seat? I saw some pics of a pair installed behind a SCREW rear seat--not sure if the rear seat is the same or different?It has been done

Second, my original plan was to install under the passenger rear seat, where the factory sub would be. My Weathertech mat has a cutout line for the factor sub and will accommodate this. Anyone made some kind of cover? Thinking it could be as simple as a slip cover made from speaker box carpet and a velcro dot on each corner to keep it in place--just something to make it a little more discrete but it would be nice to add a little protection at the same time. It won't fit under a front seat due to power seats.I put mine in the floor compartment under the rear passenger seat. Fits perfect. No cover

Last, speaker level inputs or buy one of the PAC AOEM-FRD24's? Any real difference there? If I use speaker level inputs, is there a good place in the rear of the truck to tap in? I like the FRD24. Plug and Play and also provides a turn on wire for the amp.

Guess one more thing--I ordered bass blockers for the door speakers, kind of guessed at 100hz. Did I make a mistake there?
It will be ok. Set your sub crossover to 100hz also
Old 01-31-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks. I went ahead and order the PAC unit--figured I might end up wanting it later.

Still looking to cover the sub. I picked up some jet-black speaker box carpet (the ultra-thin stuff) and I'm thinking I make something like a cradle that mounts the sub, protects the wiring, and disguises the sub if the seat is left up.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:55 PM

Received 487 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by matt_m
Thanks. I went ahead and order the PAC unit--figured I might end up wanting it later.

Still looking to cover the sub. I picked up some jet-black speaker box carpet (the ultra-thin stuff) and I'm thinking I make something like a cradle that mounts the sub, protects the wiring, and disguises the sub if the seat is left up.
Cut yourself a cover out of plywood and cover it with the carpet. Cut it a little larger than the passenger side hole you are mounting the sub in.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:51 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Yes, it will fit behind the scab seat, it's tight but fits well and sounds good.

It is a bitch to get the seat back off but YouTube it and you will be fine.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:14 AM

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by RES4CUE
Yes, it will fit behind the scab seat, it's tight but fits well and sounds good. It is a bitch to get the seat back off but YouTube it and you will be fine.
Sorry to hijack the thread. I'm in the process of installing 2 of these subs behind my rear seat. When I push the seat up to use the rest floor, the back of the sub hits the seat and won't fully push up and lock in.

Where are people placing these subs back there and with what?
Old 02-01-2014, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by disturbed3003
Sorry to hijack the thread. I'm in the process of installing 2 of these subs behind my rear seat. When I push the seat up to use the rest floor, the back of the sub hits the seat and won't fully push up and lock in. Where are people placing these subs back there and with what?
Hmm, not sure what's going on. I have mine on the passenger side. I just put it there length ways and it was all the way down against the floor behind as far as it would go and put seat back.

My seats lock in the upright position without issue.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:27 AM

Here's how I'm trying to mount them.

Did you just leave your subs laying on the floor?
Attached Thumbnails Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Install In a SCAB?-image-3650788086.jpg  
Old 02-01-2014, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by disturbed3003
Here's how I'm trying to mount them. Did you just leave your subs laying on the floor?
Yep, no straps. The pressure from seat back holds it in place
Old 02-01-2014, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by RES4CUE
Yep, no straps. The pressure from seat back holds it in place
When the seat is folded down there's room back there and the sub can slide around. Only when the seat is being folded up is when it is tight. Anther member here posted this photo. This is what I am trying to obtain.
Attached Thumbnails Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Install In a SCAB?-image-525880682.jpg  

Quick Reply: Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Install In a SCAB?