Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Rooted Phone with SYNC??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 04:14 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Rooted Phone with SYNC??

What's up guys? I'll keep this real short. I've spent a shload of $ on putting together a very respectable sound system. Problem is that 90% of the music I listen to, I Bluetooth Stream using my Droid X, and Pandora.

I have found that after amplifying all of my speakers, I get a lot of distortion with the high frequency. It isn't my equipment, CDs sound incredible (but in the 4 months I've owned my truck, I've listened to 1 CD, and do not wish to go back to them).

That being said I did some research (this is where it gets technical), and I have found that the Bluetooth Bitpool for android is supposedly set to a default of like 30 something. As a result it chokes down the transfer rate of the signal you get from streaming music.

My question is, has anyone found a reliable ROM to install on the Droid X that allows you to adjust the bitpool?

Any help or suggestions would be most welcome.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:32 PM
2011 Lariat Screw EB

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Wow you have a problem on your hands, here's a link to many people looking for you answer

http://forum.xda-developers.com/arch.../t-708685.html

They say CyanogenMod automatically changes the bitpool for higher quality songs but still not perfect.

Besides plugging it in to the input jack I'm not sure your gonna get as good as sound quality.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:42 PM
2011 Lariat Screw EB

I have a rooted EVO, granted I have a stock system but I don't hear any difference in audio quality when using BT streaming vs CD or Input jack.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:48 PM

Thanks, I was just watching a video about that ROM. Not sure if what I want actually exists. I love my phone just the way it is... Love it! except for Bluetooth streaming at amplified volume. Grrrr.

For some reason, and I know this sounds crazy, AUX in sounds way worse to me than even bluetooth stream. It has been that way since I first got the vehicle, and before any stereo mods. First thing I did was go to freaking Target and pay 20 bucks for a Monster aux wire. It is not as good of quality as the bluetooth believe it or not.

I know sound quality can be subjective and all that, but I don't care what kind of ears you have, muffled and distorted is muffled and distorted. Thanks for the link. About to check it out.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How's USB sound for you?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Just Another Member

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

CM7 works great for me. Droid Incredible.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:25 PM
lol, wut

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Does it sound bad when using local files?

I always noticed that streaming music was very low-quality compared to even 192kbps VBR mp3 files. Lots of ringing and harshness on the highs in the streaming music that's not there. Pandora streams at what... 96kbps, MAYBE 128 if you have an LTE or WiFi connection?

Edit: I should say, I used to use BT audio with the Aux input in my last truck (same headunit as my current truck) using a Jabra BT3030 receiver and a T-Mobile HTC Wing Windows Mobile smartphone using local files for playback, and always sounded great.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by BillK
How's USB sound for you?
If I plug in a thumb drive and play mp3, it is better, not great, but much better. Starting to think that maybe bluetooth isn't the culprit intirely. Maybe there is only a certain level of quality that can be achieved streaming music on 3g, and what I am experiencing is it.
Only thing I haven't tried is pandora to my phone, then phone to HU using USB.

Not really sure that would be possible. I imagine it would have to be some sort of hdmi to usb adapter. Anyone got any ideas? Or would that still sound like poop since I'm streaming the music?
Old 10-28-2011, 08:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PondJumper
If I plug in a thumb drive and play mp3, it is better, not great, but much better. Starting to think that maybe bluetooth isn't the culprit intirely. Maybe there is only a certain level of quality that can be achieved streaming music on 3g, and what I am experiencing is it.
Only thing I haven't tried is pandora to my phone, then phone to HU using USB.

Not really sure that would be possible. I imagine it would have to be some sort of hdmi to usb adapter. Anyone got any ideas? Or would that still sound like poop since I'm streaming the music?
www.monoprice.com for all things cable, network, home theater related at great prices.

Honestly though I think you're just hitting the limitations of streaming.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:51 AM
2011 Lariat Screw EB

Are you playing Mp3's you've downloaded from places like limewire or frostwire?? Cause most are very low bitrates. When ripping a CD onto your computer you can hit the options and rip it into a very high bitrate Mp3 that puts out CD quality. But most people go run of the mill quality cause they can fit more on their Mp3 player.

Quick Reply: Rooted Phone with SYNC??