Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Road NOise

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road NOise

I have a Pioneer AvicD-3, Polk5x7 speakers front and back, kicker 400.1 anp, kicker 350.4 amp, and 2 kicker 10 inch comp subs... and when the volumn is turned all the way down i get a whistling noise from the speakers and it gets louder when i accelerate.. How do i make that go away?
Old 07-11-2008, 05:27 PM

the whistling is usually caused by grounding all your wires together or very near each other. you should have separate grounds for each amp, component, etc.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:04 PM

good ground on amp, make sure you dont run power wire with the rca cables.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the others are correct and you also want to make sure your ground cables are not running bundled with the power wire. Grounding is weird in the fact that it isnt hard it just has to be good. As short as possible and also make sure the terminals are not loosening up around the ends of your ground cables.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:19 AM

and basically just make sure that the ground isnt near anything else?? what about i have the wires ran together?? does that matter?? so.. is it more with the sub amp or the 4 channel amp that i need to check?.. or both?

cause i looked some online and found that it mainly comes from the sub amp..
Old 07-13-2008, 01:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have 2 amps under my back seat. (supercrew) i have both ground wires going to same point of contact. but I have them going to the left as to where i have my power wire going to splitter and then going to the right...in other words you do not want power and ground cables to be near each other or they will pickup noise...secondly if you have your gain to high it will pick up motor noise on alot of amps, not all but quite a few. I heard motor noise coming thru mine one day and found it to be one of the ends on the ground cables to be loose so I just clamped down on it with some pliers and resolved that issue. you have to ask yourself if you hear it thru your regular speakers or your sub, then go to that amp that is powering the speakers... If a sub is setup right with freq cut off you prob wont hear it thru sub anyway..
Old 07-15-2008, 05:55 PM

here are some pics i took of the amps and wires.. i was wondering if u could check them out and see if its the ground wire or what cause ive moved all the wires around and still no change.. still road noise..
Attached Thumbnails Road NOise-amp-wires.jpg   Road NOise-wires.jpg   Road NOise-wwires.jpg   Road NOise-distro.jpg   Road NOise-amp-2.jpg  

Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2008, 05:58 PM

and the 4-channel amp
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2008, 09:21 PM

Try running a better ground from the head unit to the chassis. I will often run a 12ga wire from the head unit's ground to a piece of metal in the kick panel that has had the paint ground off and then screwed down using a self tapping screw. The factory ground at the head unit goes to a common grounding spot and can sometimes cause a ground loop (alternator whine.) I have also seen on all of the 04+ f150's where there is a lot of AC ripple from the alternator when the battery gets run down too far and the alternator has to work very hard and there is a whine. I could even hear it when my stereo was all stock. It was more noticeably when there was an aftermarket amp. This issue goes away once the battery is charged back up, however.

Quick Reply: Road NOise