Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Questions about upgrading 2018 F150 Audio System

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about upgrading 2018 F150 Audio System

First: I have a 2018 F-150 with sync 3 and the 8" screen. I have the stock Sony stereo (i.e. not the B&O system)
Second: I have never done anything with car audio but I have spent fair amount of time with home audio.

I just bought this truck used, love the truck, unimpressed with the audio system. I'd like to keep all the Sync features but would like to have better sound.
Initially I thought I'd update just the speakers (considering focal es165k front/ es165 k2 coaxial back). I'm considering just disconnecting the center altogether. As I started to look into it; I have the idea that the stock amp is weak, delivering something like 25Wpc, which i don't think will adequately drive the speakers I'm looking at. It also looks like the sync system and receiver are integrated into a single box. So I either need a line output converter or an amp/dsp that will take an amplified input. I have some concerns here:

1) The LOC sounds bad, take an amplified signal, attenuate it and output line level signal onto RCA outputs...that's going to take quality stuff to not screw up. I'd never do anything like this in a home system.
2) I have read that the sony receiver does driver specific filtering (like a crossover would) for each speaker feed, which tells me that buying drivers with a better range than stock is a waste of time/money because extra range has been removed from the signal before I get it. Is there way to get the signal before its all hacked up.
3) Like i said above, the center speaker seems useless if you have a good right/left, is there any point in keeping it? If you guys think it is worth keeping can you suggest something that will pair with the speakers above
4) I'm not a car audio guy, what is your opinion of the focals above, are they too expensive for what they are, is there something better? I want clean clear sound, and I'm as likely to listen to classical as I am to listen to classic rock or 80s/90s pop.

Am I right about the above concerns and if so, is it even possible to really update this system and keep all my sync functionality. If so i would greatly appreciate any insight you guys may have.

Edit: I would also like to add a sub; but haven't gotten that far yet, gotta make sure I can get low enough frequency signal to justify considering it.

Thanks

Last edited by darthvogel; 06-18-2023 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-18-2023, 11:05 PM

Received 908 Likes on 465 Posts

When I had my 18 F150 XLT I went with a Fox Acoustic enclosure with two 10" subs on a 1000 watt amp. For the money and if you want good bass but nothing crazy that is the bang for the buck. Ran JL Audio C3's but Focals are a good name brand as well. I've been happy with Hertz also. Which model you get will very in quality of course. I ran an Audio Control LC71 but there are other ways to go about the LOC. There are some guys that will steer you in the right direction better than me. I like high power window shaking bass, still learning sound quality.
Old 06-20-2023, 04:38 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

You'll want to use a bypass system from PAC to get the signal clean for the amp/DSP. Send me a message for more info. I'll help guide you along.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

The following 3 users liked this post by HushCarAudio:
jdunk54nl (06-23-2023), Shane803 (06-20-2023), Wyo11Scab (06-23-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gutted my '19 B&O, so I can't help with some of those questions, but I definitely disabled the center, and haven't noticed.

I put Focal RCX-165 in the rear and RSE-165 in the front. Love them. But mine are amplified with a kicker candybar.

When you come to the sub, I tried about 4 different iterations before settling on the JL 12TW3-D4 with the custom MTI box. It's incredible.
Old 06-22-2023, 06:34 PM

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

PAC LOC is where it's at...nothing janky to worry about. Keeps all the Sync audio (chimes/phone/nav/parking), and OEM fade control if you use the analog outputs (digital is strictly 2-channel). Intercepts low-level signal before it is processed/amped by Sony, so plenty clean/flat.

Mine feeds a Helix M4 DSP, which powers the front stage and processes for the whole truck. 5-channel Kenwood Excelon gets signal from the Helix processor and powers rear/center/sub.

Check classifieds here...I have an MTI/JL sub box and amp rack, and a couple Kicker amps for sale. You definitely want aftermarket power...even 50W is 3x what OEM delivers.

Last edited by efwunfiddy; 06-23-2023 at 09:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Wyo11Scab (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 10:10 AM

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Are you sure you have the sony system? Do you have an amp behind your rear seats? I thought the sony system was only up until 2017, and then the b&0 was the upgrade option in 2018+

Quick Reply: Questions about upgrading 2018 F150 Audio System