Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

PAC MS-FRD1 vs iDatalink Maestro

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PAC MS-FRD1 vs iDatalink Maestro

Which one would you guys recommend and why? I currently have the Kenwood DDX271 with Maestro but I can not get it working correctly.

Does the PAC system work as well (for everyone else ) as the Maestro?

Or, why would I not just get rid of SYNC all together and get the Pioneer AVH8500 with all the features I would have otherwise, minus sync?
Old 03-25-2014, 02:50 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I have had both and currently use the Maestro. I do believe the Maestro is the superior product simply because it has not failed on the steering wheel controls. The MS-FRD1 would always get funky if I received a phone call and adjusted the volume during the call. When I hung up and went back to the HU, volume up would be down and volume down would not work. I would have to power cycle the vehicle to get it back to normal. I have no idea if this was specific to my setup but it had it's bugs for me.

As for replacing the HU with a higher end HU and then getting rid of Sync altogether....I struggled with this as well but as you move to a more capable HU you will want it to talk to Sync as there are then many benefits. Also, you are going to want to keep your SWC even though you may cut-out Sync so you will still be interfacing and ultimately be back where you are now.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:38 PM
Umm
iMember

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

So I'm replying to this thread because I have the exact question now almost 3 years since the OP.

Looking at a Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS at Crutchfield for my 2011 Ford F-150 SuperCrew w/o Navigation system, w/o Sony audio.

I want a Nav unit but I'm settling for this as I use the hell out of Waze, and my iPhone is always with me. So why pay for a full Nav unit I say ?

Then of course, to buy a $350 head unit, you need to spent another $150 on adapters.

So my choices are:
PAC MS-FRD1 wiring interface
PAC SWI-RC steering wheel interface
or
iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR wiring interface
iDatalink Connec HRN-RR-FO1

What ever happened to +12V, ground, and L,R, Front, Rear ?
I'm told I need this for SYNC ? Why, is the SYNC controlled from my factory head unit ? I don't use SYNC for voice control of ANYTHING, phone, radio, ... or is SYNC something that runs in the background that keeps my truck from getting the flu ?

Anywho, I know I'm going off due to my senility, but 50% of the cost should not be a bunch of wires !

Look for your opinion on PAC vs iData Maestro ...
Old 11-30-2016, 02:52 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by troutspinner
I have had both and currently use the Maestro. I do believe the Maestro is the superior product simply because it has not failed on the steering wheel controls. The MS-FRD1 would always get funky if I received a phone call and adjusted the volume during the call. When I hung up and went back to the HU, volume up would be down and volume down would not work. I would have to power cycle the vehicle to get it back to normal. I have no idea if this was specific to my setup but it had it's bugs for me.

As for replacing the HU with a higher end HU and then getting rid of Sync altogether....I struggled with this as well but as you move to a more capable HU you will want it to talk to Sync as there are then many benefits. Also, you are going to want to keep your SWC even though you may cut-out Sync so you will still be interfacing and ultimately be back where you are now.
I agree totally. I have had both and the Maestro is far superior. When you program it you can choose to use SYNC or not.

Last edited by Wyo11Scab; 11-30-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Drewbaby88
Which one would you guys recommend and why? I currently have the Kenwood DDX271 with Maestro but I can not get it working correctly.

Does the PAC system work as well (for everyone else ) as the Maestro?

Or, why would I not just get rid of SYNC all together and get the Pioneer AVH8500 with all the features I would have otherwise, minus sync?
What problems are you having with the Maestro? Maybe we can help
Old 11-30-2016, 11:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Umm
So I'm replying to this thread because I have the exact question now almost 3 years since the OP.

Looking at a Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS at Crutchfield for my 2011 Ford F-150 SuperCrew w/o Navigation system, w/o Sony audio.

I want a Nav unit but I'm settling for this as I use the hell out of Waze, and my iPhone is always with me. So why pay for a full Nav unit I say ?

Then of course, to buy a $350 head unit, you need to spent another $150 on adapters.

So my choices are:
or

I'm told I need this for SYNC ? Why, is the SYNC controlled from my factory head unit ? I don't use SYNC for voice control of ANYTHING, phone, radio, ... or is SYNC something that runs in the background that keeps my truck from getting the flu ?

Anywho, I know I'm going off due to my senility, but 50% of the cost should not be a bunch of wires !

The Maestro part does work well, also if you don't care about Sync, you can use the RP4-FD11 ( which is cheaper ) and if no steering control, use the C2R-frd1
Old 12-01-2016, 01:05 AM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

I had the Maestro with my kenwood 892, never a issue. I kept sync, loved that setup...
Old 02-07-2017, 10:46 AM

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Umm

So my choices are:
or

I have a 2011 xlt, had the plain stereo, no sync, no steering wheel controls. I installed a Kenwood Nav DNN9990HD and all I used was a ford stereo harness ( like $9). it was just wire the harness wires to the kenwood harness (pos, neg, batt, speakers...) with the exception of a switched power, needed to be run down to a fuse tap in the fuse box in passenger footwell. then just plugged that harness into the truck stereo harness and was good to go.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Pac Audio set up in my 2016. It had the 4.3 screen. I upgraded to the pioneer 7200nex.

Yesterday I went to the stereo shop and kept the PAC bezel, changed the module to the Maestro RR & F02 harness.

the stereo shop is telling me that I can’t have climate control on the pioneer screen, is that true? I’m having a hard time believing it since the 13/14 has the climate control on screen. Is it not available because they hooked it up wrong? Is the RR not flashed correctly? Do I need the iDatalink bezel?

The only thing I have on screen are gauges and tire pressure/battery volt. The source that has the climate control is grey and in that section also gives you the outside temp which I can’t see either.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:56 AM

Maestro all the way!!

Quick Reply: PAC MS-FRD1 vs iDatalink Maestro