Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

New tweets not working did I miss something?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Default New tweets not working did I miss something?

Since the stereo and speakers are not the best to say the least I decided to install new speakers and just leave the head unit.

Infinity KAPPA 60.11 component speakers for the front, Infinity KAPPA coax for the back with a pioneer amp pushing both sets. Putting the 6.5" speakers wasn't that big a deal, running all the wire was interesting to say the least for the front (all 12ga shielded) and not as bad for the back.

Since the amp has low level speaker imputs, I bought speakers harness plugs and ran the original speaker wires back to the amp and new wires to the speakers so I wouldn't have to mess with the HU.

With everything hooked up as per instructions, grounded to frame we fired it up. Definitely a upgrade but the tweeters are not working. We took a multi meter and checked the crossover and it has power to the in, woofer but not to the tweeter. Funny thing is both sides are not working.mdont know if they worked at first and stopped or never worked at all. The amp is rated for the same power as speakers and the gain wasn't turned all the way up, about little more than half.

Is there a crossover built into the HU that may keep it from working?
Old 08-19-2016, 11:46 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by gunfreak00
Since the stereo and speakers are not the best to say the least I decided to install new speakers and just leave the head unit.

Infinity KAPPA 60.11 component speakers for the front, Infinity KAPPA coax for the back with a pioneer amp pushing both sets. Putting the 6.5" speakers wasn't that big a deal, running all the wire was interesting to say the least for the front (all 12ga shielded) and not as bad for the back.

Since the amp has low level speaker imputs, I bought speakers harness plugs and ran the original speaker wires back to the amp and new wires to the speakers so I wouldn't have to mess with the HU.

With everything hooked up as per instructions, grounded to frame we fired it up. Definitely a upgrade but the tweeters are not working. We took a multi meter and checked the crossover and it has power to the in, woofer but not to the tweeter. Funny thing is both sides are not working.mdont know if they worked at first and stopped or never worked at all. The amp is rated for the same power as speakers and the gain wasn't turned all the way up, about little more than half.

Is there a crossover built into the HU that may keep it from working?
What HU?
What year truck?

If it is Sony then the crossover is in the factory amp. If not Sony then the tweeters are hooked up in line with the door speakers and crossed over with a CAP on the tweeter
Old 08-20-2016, 10:22 PM

Truck 2011 F150 Screw lariat 4x4, stock HU (not Sony).
Old 08-21-2016, 02:23 PM

Truck 2011 F150 Screw lariat 4x4, stock HU (not Sony).
If not Sony then the tweeters are hooked up in line with the door speakers and crossed over with a CAP on the tweeter. Did you run new wires to your tweeters from the new crossover?
Old 08-22-2016, 11:14 AM

Yes.

I used factory wire connectors to clip into the ones in the doors and ran new wire back to the AMP. It has low level connector clip for the in so we didn't have to yank the HU. Then I ran wire to the doors, connected to the in on the crossover. Ran wire from the it to woofer and one to the tweets all new wire. Ran everything as per instructions on amp and speakers directions.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:42 AM

Yes.

I used factory wire connectors to clip into the ones in the doors and ran new wire back to the AMP. It has low level connector clip for the in so we didn't have to yank the HU. Then I ran wire to the doors, connected to the in on the crossover. Ran wire from the it to woofer and one to the tweets all new wire. Ran everything as per instructions on amp and speakers directions.
Then it has to be in the crossovers. I wouldn't think that both are bad an there is only a 0 or +3 setting for the tweeter. I guess check the crossover and tweeter connections again. What pioneer amp did you use? Maybe a setting on there ?

Last edited by Wyo11Scab; 08-23-2016 at 11:48 AM.

Quick Reply: New tweets not working did I miss something?