Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

New Stereo System

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Stereo System

Hey guys, just became a member today actually. i have an 04 FX4 SuperCab. Ive been saving up money all summer so far and was either gonna buy a 3" lift kit and or some new speakers and a sub. well i already have like a 2" leveling kit so it sits up pretty nice and my tires arent old, so ill wait on that. I have about 800$ so far and im working all through july so i dont think money is too much of a problem. I want a my system to hit hard. So ive done A LOT of research on all the speaker, amp, and subwoofer ****, so i think i know what im talking about. Anyways, I'm looking into getting a 5 channel amp, the Kenwood KAC-7005PS. it says this [RMS Power Output @ 4 Ohms: 40 Watts x 4 Channels + 300 Watts x 1 RMS Power Output @ 2 Ohms: 50 Watts x 4 Channels + 500 Watts x 1] Its like 1200 peak and 700 RMS. I found one brand new on ebay for 225 with a nice wiring kit so i think thats a deal. Im also getting a kenwood 6.1 " Head unit from my buddy soon. I found some kenwood 6x8 3-way speakers on ebay as well and it comes with two pairs of them so thats all four of my component speakers for 89.99 which is 10 bucks less than retail for 1 pair. So, so far i think im doing pretty good. Oh by the way the speakers are 240 peak and 80x2 RMS, so will it work if the amp says 40x4 + 300 wats at 4 OHM, so i think i would have to get a sub with 300 RMS at 4 OHM, but what if i want one at 2 ohm for more power... does it work like that?. Now at first i wanted two 10" subs, but after looking more into i think i can buy a pretty nice shallow mount 12" sub for cheaper then two O.K 10's. Also the box for one sub is cheaper and less power is needed, and i only gotta buy one! So ive been looking at a few shallow subs and i saw the JL TW5 which is actually 13.5" but fits into a 12" casing, i know that that sub would hit really nice and im pretty sure that they come in 4 ohm, but im not sure. The only thing is that those are expensive as ****, 600 retail i believe. Again on ebay i found one for 300 but it has a few bumps in the metal guard thing. I would like to buy a brand new sub from a store with a nice warranty and not a used one that may go out for 300 bucks... also i heard about the alpine type r's and those are the same price so im looking for something that is maybe around 300 or so brand new, and i have an all kenwood system so far so it may be cool to complete that and get a kenwood sub, i just couldn't find many reviews. so if yall have any more shallows that are nice but just aren't 600 bucks but still hit hard please let me know. Also im not real sure if my 5 chanel amp is gonna fit the sub im looking for, cause the TW5 i believe has a 300-600 RMS so i think with my 160 out of the 700 available it would fit in there... im just not experienced with this stuff and have only read other threads and decided to write my own. So yeah thanks for reading if you do and help me out with my system, Thanks!

Last edited by Bwarbz; 07-10-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:00 PM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts

I know it's expensive, but it's well worth it. I put that jl sub underneath my seat in custom built sealed box in my 11 supercrew. Sounds amazing. Almost as good as the two kicker solo baric 10s I had in my last truck. U will def want more power if u go w it. I have a hifonics Brutus pushing 1000 watts to it.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:59 PM

Did you buy it for 600? Or could you find a better deal? And do you think that amp could power that sub well enough? I also think that my HU could power my speakers, but I'm not sure. So if they could that would leave even more room to power that beastly amp.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:24 PM

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Bwarbz
Did you buy it for 600? Or could you find a better deal? And do you think that amp could power that sub well enough? I also think that my HU could power my speakers, but I'm not sure. So if they could that would leave even more room to power that beastly amp.
Don't run your door speakers off of your head unit, I have the same door speakers running off of my jvc kd-r530 head unit and it worked fine from December until about a month ago. They are WAYYYYY under powered. If I put my volume more than halfway up they cut out. So I'll be buying a 4-channel amp pretty soon. Also go with a jl sub, they are well worth the money. I have 2 jl w1v2 12's on a kicker kx400.1 and you can hear me from about 4 blocks away and it is just clean sound man, you can't go wrong with jl!! Good luck, do research, and buy quality stuff
Old 07-10-2013, 11:39 PM
BlackWater

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is what i would suggest spending your money on as this is going to be your best bang for the buck.

Amp- Rockford fosgate p1000x5 5 channel amp.
Sub- kenwood KFC xw1200F- 12" shallow mount sub
Speakers- JBL- MS-62c - 6.5" comp speakers
Wiring- SK6641 - Stinger 4 Gauge 6000 Series Complete Amplifier Installation Kit
RCA- Streetwires
Old 07-11-2013, 12:08 AM

I got it for 549 I believe. And no, that amp won't do it justice. U want a good sounding system, u gotta spend some money. U can find some descent high watt amps for a reasonable price. And if ur gonna send that much power to ur sub, then u wanna power ur mids as well. It will sound like chit if u push the sub that hard with only 20 watts going to the mids. Get u a good 4 channel and a class D mono for the sub. Check out sonicelectronix. That's where I got all my stuff, besides the sub.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:09 AM

Thanks, I'm doing my research and shopping all over again ha, I meant a beastly sub by the way... Not amp
Old 07-11-2013, 09:13 AM

I did some more research and I found the alpine type r 12" sub for 300 which is right where I was looking and I saw it for 600 on crutch field.( I shopped at sonic) I went and found the kenwood XR400.4 for my component. And a kenwood KFC500.1 for my sub. Now all I have to is the speakers and a box. The kenwood speakers I was looking at are 80x4 or 80 per channel, and the amp is 75 wats per channel so that works out. And I think those are all quality products. But I read that you want to pick out the box before the sub. But I think I'm going to go to a local audio store and buy one and have them do some wiring for me aswell. Thanks and let me know if this sounds solid or not!!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:24 AM

I actually was looking again at the mono amp and its only 350 for 4 ohm, and the sub is 300 to 600 RMS. So I think
I would need a like 1000 wat amp cause those are around 550 RMS AT 4 ohm, so would that increase the subs potential?
Old 07-11-2013, 02:50 PM

I actually was looking again at the mono amp and its only 350 for 4 ohm, and the sub is 300 to 600 RMS. So I think
I would need a like 1000 wat amp cause those are around 550 RMS AT 4 ohm, so would that increase the subs potential?
R u getting one or two subs? If just one that 350 should b enough to push it nicely. But more power will help it sound better.
As far as box and sub, I say pick sub first. Find out what u want and if ur gonna do ported or vented, then either check out foxbox or supercrew sound prefab boxes, or do like I did and go to local audio and have then build u a box to ur specs.

Quick Reply: New Stereo System