Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Need help troubleshooting.....please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 07:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Need help troubleshooting.....please!

So I’m sooooo disappointed. Spent all day today hooking everything up and making sure everything is ok. And upon fire up....no right front sound.

Here’s the setup: 2018 XL 6 speaker basic system.
For11CK harness wired to JL Fix86, out to 4 channel Amp, and 1 Channel sub amp.

So far process of elimination I switched the right front speaker terminals on 4 Channel Amp to the left front speaker and the right front worked but the left front didn’t. So I know it’s not the speakers. Seems to be a short somewhere. I guess it’s possible a wire got cut or something during the install. My question is when I installed the 2 runs of 9 wire speed wire one set goes to the DSP and the other set goes to the 4Channel Amp. Which set of wires is most likely the short in? I guess I’ll have to use a multimeter and check for continuity on all wires?

And one other issue that I haven’t really looked into since all speakers didn’t work. I have a hissing sound coming from the left frint tweeter. Any ideas on that? I thought I read that could be a ground issue? For grounding I used the ground screw on back wall that already had a green ground wire on it.

Thanks,
Art
Old 04-09-2018, 09:46 AM

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

To me is sounds like your amp may be the problem...seems like it is that one channel that is not working if I am reading your explanation correctly. If you swapped left and right and now the left is not working, that is not a wiring issue at all.

As far as the hissing goes, are you using the factory speakers? If not, what comps, crossovers, etc, are you using? In my old truck I was getting a nasty hiss from my front driver tweeter. The issue was the + and - connections where touching each other causing the static.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Ajb1205
To me is sounds like your amp may be the problem...seems like it is that one channel that is not working if I am reading your explanation correctly. If you swapped left and right and now the left is not working, that is not a wiring issue at all.

As far as the hissing goes, are you using the factory speakers? If not, what comps, crossovers, etc, are you using? In my old truck I was getting a nasty hiss from my front driver tweeter. The issue was the + and - connections where touching each other causing the static.
i doubt its the amp. It’s a brand new Alpine MRV-300. My buddy seems to think it’s a signal issue going into the DSP or a bad RCA or crimped? When I did the For11-CK harness I took the time and made sure everyone was soldered perfectly. When I get home tonight I’ll try and mess with the RCA’s.

As far as the hiss, after some research I never did the calibration on my DSP since all the speakers didn’t work so I believe after I calibrate it it should go away. I read somewhere that it could be the high range signal going to speakers. As far as speakers up front I’m running Focal ISS690 components with built in crossovers.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:39 AM

When you hook up your laptop to the Fix, can you see what inputs it is receiving? I would try doing a calibration as well...see what it comes back with.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

swap the rcas going into your amp and see what speakers doesn't work. you already tested the output of the amp, now check the lines going into it.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:10 AM

When you hook up your laptop to the Fix, can you see what inputs it is receiving? I would try doing a calibration as well...see what it comes back with.
Good point, I’ll try that too.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by nineball
swap the rcas going into your amp and see what speakers doesn't work. you already tested the output of the amp, now check the lines going into it.
I swapped them like you said and still no right front speaker. I have to assume its something in the harness that I wired up.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:50 PM

I did the calibration and it showed succesfull but still no right front speaker. When looking at the TUN software it shows no input for the front channels even though the left front works. I have to assume its something in the harness I wired up? I really don't want to take all that apart but I guess I have no choice.

On a side note after doing the calibration it took away the hissing sound from the tweeter.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:56 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by ajw068
I did the calibration and it showed succesfull but still no right front speaker. When looking at the TUN software it shows no input for the front channels even though the left front works. I have to assume its something in the harness I wired up? I really don't want to take all that apart but I guess I have no choice.

On a side note after doing the calibration it took away the hissing sound from the tweeter.
Yep it sounds like an unhooked wire in the harness or from the amp to the speakers
Old 04-10-2018, 09:59 AM

I would say its a bad connection between your HU and FIX...or your amp (don't ignore this just because it's new). When you swapped left and right channels on your amp, and the problem went from the right to left speaker, that tells you the wiring from the amp to the speakers is good. If the wiring was wrong, the issue with the right speaker not working would stay the same.

You should be seeing 4 channels of input...so if you are not getting the front speaker inputs according to the TUN software, i would start there.

Quick Reply: Need help troubleshooting.....please!