Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Need advice on upgrading the Sony system.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 08:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Need advice on upgrading the Sony system.

I need some advice to get better sound from my stock Sony Nav unit. I don't need anything crazy just looking for a more crisp clean sound. I am hoping to just change out the four door speakers. Can anyone recommend the best door speakers without going with components. And will this get me what I am looking for? I want something clean... the stock system (speakers) are so muddy it sucks. I have an Impala with the Bose system that absolutely blows the Sony away. I would be happy if I could get my truck anywhere near the sound the Impala puts out. Please help me!
Old 01-01-2012, 01:09 PM

Anyone have any advice on these?
Alpine SPR-68

Type-R 6"x8" 2-way car speakers — fits 5"x7" and 6"x8" openings
Old 01-01-2012, 01:30 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyz71
Anyone have any advice on these?
Alpine SPR-68

Type-R 6"x8" 2-way car speakers — fits 5"x7" and 6"x8" openings
Barney I have Kickers and am very happy with them. $50 a pair
Old 01-01-2012, 10:05 PM

I went with four of these.
Focal Access 570CA1 5"x7" 2-way car speakers.

Do the speaker grills come of the 2012's or do the door panels need to come off to change them out?
Old 01-02-2012, 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me thinks we need more power. With new speakers, I think the effect will be only marginal at best. Need a clean more powerful source. Now how to integrate a nice amp into the factory Sony system is a whole different matter.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:37 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by achenator
Me thinks we need more power. With new speakers, I think the effect will be only marginal at best. Need a clean more powerful source. Now how to integrate a nice amp into the factory Sony system is a whole different matter.
I couldn't agree more. Sorry to say this but its best to amplify your door speakers. I started by just replacing the speakers, then tried a new stereo {which helped but not enough). Ultimately I wound up getting a 4 channel amp, and wow! Its night and day
Old 01-03-2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by PondJumper
I couldn't agree more. Sorry to say this but its best to amplify your door speakers. I started by just replacing the speakers, then tried a new stereo {which helped but not enough). Ultimately I wound up getting a 4 channel amp, and wow! Its night and day
So did I waste my money ordering new speakers? I was hoping that being more efficent they would be an upgrade. I don't need much more volume just a cleaner sound. Will I get it with the speakers I have ordered or will there be no change?
Old 01-03-2012, 02:20 PM

I started by adding a small inline alpine amp to the factory system. It sounded much better. Then I added four 6x8 kicker ks series 2 ways. This was a major improvement, the highs and voice were much clearer and crisp. I finished up yesterdau buy adding a memphis 10" m class sub in a single atrend box powered by a American Bass amp that is way more than I need so it is turmed way down. All I cam say now is WOW. I love the sound oh a 10" in a sealed box. My bas is very tight and musical not boomy. But I can make it boom with the remote bass ****. I am so glad that I did not get the factory Sony crap. Mu system cost way less and sounds 10 x better. I have less than 600 into the system and it sounds incredible for the money.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:24 PM

Yes the door panels need to come off. Very easy to do. There is a youtube video on this. It took me around an hour to change all four door speakers.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by davefx2
Yes the door panels need to come off. Very easy to do. There is a youtube video on this. It took me around an hour to change all four door speakers.
Thanks, I'll look for the video.

Quick Reply: Need advice on upgrading the Sony system.