Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

My 04 F150 SCAB install

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default My 04 F150 SCAB install

Finished up my install and thought I would put up some notes... no pics, we all know what speakers/amp/HU look like. This is basically what I call an low/mid level upgrade from stock. You can run the amp and 4 speakers and have great sounding music, the sub just fills out the bottom end. You will not win any contests with this but as a 40+ year old white guy I don't need to. Total cost was just over $600

Amp mounted behind rear seat. Taking seats off was easy once you find the tabs.

Install kit: Rockville RWK41 4 Gauge. OK kit. Very flexable power lines and long enough to run to rear seat. The you only get 17ft of speaker wire so you'll have to buy more. Not enough to run 4 speakers back to harness in dash or all doors. RCA cables were long enough to run up to HU with no issues.

AMP:
Rockville RXA-F1 1600 Watt Peak/800w RMS 4 Channel Amplifier Car Stereo Amp. Run amp in 3 channel mode (l/r speaker and ch 3/4 bridged for sub). Nice unit, easy to set up. Fit behind seat. Sounds good. Clone and 3 channel mode make setting the crossover super simple.

6x8 door speakers:
Rockford Fosgate P1683 6x8" 3 Way You have to cut off one of the universal mounting tabs to get them to fit in the 04's speaker cavity. Sounds good. I used a harness adapter to connect them to stock wiring.

Sub:
Rockford Fosgate R2 Ultra Shallow 10-Inch 4 Ohm DVC Subwoofer needed to be a shallow mount to fit the underseat box. Sounds good. Again, my goal was to fill out the bottom end, not rattle windows. It does a great job.

Sub Box:
Atrend - 10" Single Sealed Subwoofer Enclosure was $60 delivered and fits under the seat SNUGLY. Seat will latch but sub does touch the carpet. But it sounds good because again, I'm not out to rattle windows. Fit the woofer with no issues.

HU:
EinCar 7'' Capacitive Screen Car Stereo 16GB ROM Android 5.1 Head Unit Intel Quad Core Double Din Touch Screen In Dash Radio Auto GPS Navigation with Bluetooth WiFi 1080p Video Airplay. I wanted an LCD in my dash and something I could add apps to. Phone mirroring was also something I wanted. HU is nice. GPS receiver is FAST and it runs Google maps (I use it in offline mode so avoid data charges). IT DOES FIT IN THE DUAL DIN MOUNT. But the on/off/volume **** requires the bezel to be cut. If you buy an android HU get one WITHOUT any ***** UNLESS they are set back from the side. This is the only issue I had with the radio install.

METRA harness adapter. All connections were soldered and shrink wrapped and speaker wires brought up from amp to run through stock wires. Other then the 8 speaker wires I only had to connect 6 more to get the HU working.

METRA double DIN adapter. The one I got was a 'universal' for Fords. Lots of cutting off unneeded tangs and tabs. But overall the fit is OK but TIGHT around the not-exactly double DIN HU. The biggest issues is the bezel had to be cut due to the placement of the volume **** being so close to the edge. I kinda butchered the first one.. I'm going to order another one and cut it properly so it looks better.

With the new HU I have NAV, radio, etc etc and a decent media player. I already loaded up a USB drive full of music and videos (my wife loves to watch tv shows while we drive and the screen is very sharp and bright). It does support a backup cam so that will be installed when I get time to.

Hope this helps other 04 owners with their installs.