Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

(mono amp to sub) plus (4 channel amp to speakers) wiring diagram.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool (mono amp to sub) plus (4 channel amp to speakers) wiring diagram.

Hey guys, I am doing my install this weekend, ( still waiting for shipping).
I bought a head unit but I didnt know it had only 2 sets of RCA outputs. (stupid I know, gotta read the specs better next time).
I have to wire 4 speakers out of my 4 channel amp and a sub out of a mono amp.

This would of course would require 3 sets of RCA Outputs. didnt think of that before hand lol.

Solution = RCA y splitters.
I am going to wire up the 4 channel amp out of one of the outputs on the headunit using y splitters, and use the remaining output for the mono amp.

I whipped up a wiring diagram on photoshop.

Please let me know if you recommend wiring it differently. This is my first install so any pointers would be appreciated.

If all goes to plan I could take some pics if you guys want for those of you wanting to do a similar install.
Thanks!
Name:  wiring.jpg
Views: 57139
Size:  129.0 KB
Old 03-28-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

OK. So the way you are wiring it looks like you are using the front for your sub and the rear for the 4 main speakers. It will work but your front to back fader will not work.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogan
Hey guys, I am doing my install this weekend, ( still waiting for shipping).
I bought a head unit but I didnt know it had only 2 sets of RCA outputs. (stupid I know, gotta read the specs better next time).
I have to wire 4 speakers out of my 4 channel amp and a sub out of a mono amp.

This would of course would require 3 sets of RCA Outputs. didnt think of that before hand lol.

Solution = RCA y splitters.
I am going to wire up the 4 channel amp out of one of the outputs on the headunit using y splitters, and use the remaining output for the mono amp.

I whipped up a wiring diagram on photoshop.

Please let me know if you recommend wiring it differently. This is my first install so any pointers would be appreciated.

If all goes to plan I could take some pics if you guys want for those of you wanting to do a similar install.
Thanks!

Since your installing a 4channel amp, I'm assuming you have decent aftermarket components or coax's. If you want to get the best performance out of the amp and have an 6-8channel preouts look into a processor. Such as the JBL ms-8 or alpine imprint.

Depending on the headunit you could prossibly use a cheap 7 band eq and processor like the Alpine imprint (around 100 bucks) . Those have 6 channel preouts and help alot with crossover settings and filters.

Also, instead of running a Y'd set up off the rear channel. Look and see if your amp has a pass through low pass (aka output rca's). If you set the filters accordingly it would work just as good as a sub pre out on the hu.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

y not just get a five channel amp
Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
OK. So the way you are wiring it looks like you are using the front for your sub and the rear for the 4 main speakers. It will work but your front to back fader will not work.
Yes thats the plan, the deck has the ability to be switched to allow the rear speaker outputs work as the sub output.

Originally Posted by nyterydrtuckn26ss
y not just get a five channel amp
i already had the sub in for a long time, im just adding to the mix.

Last edited by Hogan; 03-28-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:39 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ibd2328
Since your installing a 4channel amp, I'm assuming you have decent aftermarket components or coax's. If you want to get the best performance out of the amp and have an 6-8channel preouts look into a processor. Such as the JBL ms-8 or alpine imprint.

Depending on the headunit you could prossibly use a cheap 7 band eq and processor like the Alpine imprint (around 100 bucks) . Those have 6 channel preouts and help alot with crossover settings and filters.

Also, instead of running a Y'd set up off the rear channel. Look and see if your amp has a pass through low pass (aka output rca's). If you set the filters accordingly it would work just as good as a sub pre out on the hu.
my mono sub amp has pass thru, but not the 4 channel. i dont think it would work but i could be wrong. my headunit will be using the rear rca's in subwoofer mode, so if i passed that signal through it probably wouldnt be ideal to go into the 4 channel. I could be wrong, im still new to this.

I don't think I will be adding much more to this though, my original plan was just to replace my blown speakers then I decided to upgrade it all.

It should definately be an upgrade over the stock system, thats for sure.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Let the Fun Begin

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

What kind of door speakers are you using???

The reason i ask is b/c IF this was my system, I'd use the 4 channel amp to run a component set up front....2 channels for the tweeters, 2 channels for the woofers in the door, and then use the radios built in power to run the rears...then when you tune everything, you fade to the front and adjust your gains for your front stage...then you can slowly fade to the back and jsut bring the rear speakers in so you "barely" hear them. This way your sound stage is in front of you, and your not wasting power from the amp to power a set of speakers (behind you) that are jsut suposed to be barely audibly anyway
Old 03-28-2012, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by TimelessR1

The reason i ask is b/c IF this was my system, I'd use the 4 channel amp to run a component set up front....2 channels for the tweeters, 2 channels for the woofers in the door, and then use the radios built in power to run the rears...then when you tune everything, you fade to the front and adjust your gains for your front stage...then you can slowly fade to the back and jsut bring the rear speakers in so you "barely" hear them. This way your sound stage is in front of you, and your not wasting power from the amp to power a set of speakers (behind you) that are jsut suposed to be barely audibly anyway
i see what your saying, btw im running rockford fosgates. they arent component though, they have the tweeter built in. i like your idea though, maybe sometime down the road i will invest in a component set.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by TimelessR1

I wouldnt advise running a sole tweeter off an outboard amp alone. Note: Usually the higher end comps have external crossovers when so the power supply is sent to inducers for the tweeters and small caps for the woofers.

Typically tweeters max out at about 10-15 rms. It would be kind of pointless to amp them when the only frequenices they play are from about 2k and up.

If you decide to go that route I would run the tweeters off the headunit. But I dont advise any of that.

What type of amp are you running? Whats the rms rating on the coaxs
Old 03-28-2012, 11:49 PM

this is my 4 channel amp. rms power is 60w x 4 channels at 4 ohms.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-KAC-8405.html

these are my speakers. 65w rms each.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ate-P1683.html

and this is the deck
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...d-DPX308U.html

Quick Reply: (mono amp to sub) plus (4 channel amp to speakers) wiring diagram.