Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Line level vs Speaker level amp inputs

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 09:07 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Line level vs Speaker level amp inputs

Background:

2018 Screw w/ 7 speaker Sync3 non-Sony stereo. In the process of upgrading the factory speakers/amp/sub. Already added the Kicker hideaway and it’s more than adequate for my needs.

Moving on to the speakers/amp I’m using Focal 6x9 separates up front, 6.5’s in the rear powered by a Clarion 45w/ch amp. Wasn’t looking to add too much power, rather just enough to upgrade the factory speakers for better sound and to better complement the Kicker amp.

My question: The Clarion amp accepts both line level and speaker level inputs. Using the Parrot harness, would it be better to use the existing speaker level HU outputs or solder in some RCA cables and use Forscan to enable line level output from the stock HU. Would there be a measurable difference of using one over the other given that it’s a modest rather than audiophile grade install?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.
The following users liked this post:
roxasthenobody98 (01-07-2020)
Old 06-09-2018, 05:22 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by FMFDoc
Background:

2018 Screw w/ 7 speaker Sync3 non-Sony stereo. In the process of upgrading the factory speakers/amp/sub. Already added the Kicker hideaway and it’s more than adequate for my needs.

Moving on to the speakers/amp I’m using Focal 6x9 separates up front, 6.5’s in the rear powered by a Clarion 45w/ch amp. Wasn’t looking to add too much power, rather just enough to upgrade the factory speakers for better sound and to better complement the Kicker amp.

My question: The Clarion amp accepts both line level and speaker level inputs. Using the Parrot harness, would it be better to use the existing speaker level HU outputs or solder in some RCA cables and use Forscan to enable line level output from the stock HU. Would there be a measurable difference of using one over the other given that it’s a modest rather than audiophile grade install?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

Low level has a cleaner signal. You are not amplifying an already amped signal like with high level.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:24 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

TE=Wyo11Scab;5804830]Low level has a cleaner signal. You are not amplifying an already amped signal like with high level.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Sir. Low level it is.

Last edited by FMFDoc; 06-09-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:22 AM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

Wyo11Scab is absolutely correct in his statement.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth I just did this exact thing in my 18 stx with a soundstream stealth amp and it sounds flat out wonderful using the high level inputs on the amp. I've used that Clarion in my old car with both inputs and couldn't tell a difference between them other than the method I used to install.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:59 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by prcdslnc13
For what it's worth I just did this exact thing in my 18 stx with a soundstream stealth amp and it sounds flat out wonderful using the high level inputs on the amp. I've used that Clarion in my old car with both inputs and couldn't tell a difference between them other than the method I used to install.

Your amp and speakers will appreciate it if u used the low level. You can't really hear it but there is more distortion if you use high level.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:57 AM
Facilitator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by prcdslnc13
Soundstream amps rock! I used to have an old Class A 100 back in the 1990's. SUPER CLEAR, but not efficient.

Trending Topics

Old 06-15-2018, 11:01 AM
Facilitator

If you want to keep the factory head unit and add higher quality speakers and a nice amplifier, I recommend using a JL Audio signal processor. This will give you the cleanest sound possible using a factory head unit. They were called a "JL Audio Cleensweep" but now they have a new one replacing them called FiX82 and FiX86.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:00 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

I have a few of those in stock FYI.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

The following users liked this post:
codycat91 (03-28-2020)
Old 06-18-2018, 09:37 AM
Facilitator

Originally Posted by HushCarAudio
I have a few of those in stock FYI.
They work pretty good, don't they? All the new Fords have all of these weird sized radios that can't be replaced by double-DIN radios. I wish they would have RCA jacks with a remote trigger on the back for those of us who want to upgrade in the future.

Quick Reply: Line level vs Speaker level amp inputs