Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Kenwood DNX9990HD with iDatalink Maestro

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:05 PM

Received 150 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Kenwood DNX9990HD with iDatalink Maestro

So today I had a Kenwood DNX9990HD with the iDatalink Maestro module installed in my 2012 F150. I gotta say I love it. Sync is still fully functional and integrated with the head unit, the steering wheel controls all work, and the navigation is great. If your thinking about either the DNX9990HD or the Maestro I would say go for it.

I miss my satellite radio though and am going to install a SXV200 satellite radio tuner so I get it back.

I'm wondering if anyone out there knows if you can somehow use the factory satellite radio antenna with the SXV200?
Old 09-09-2012, 02:07 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you post some pictures of the end result?
How much did all the Maestro stuff cost?
What kit did they use for the install, do you know? Was it Metra?

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Crutchfield has these in stock now even though they are not showing up on their website yet. You can get them over the phone only for now. The cost is $194.97 and is supposed to include everything you need, the Maestro RR, wiring harness, and the cable to connect to the Kenwood.

I placed an order this weekend for the Maestro and a Kenwood DNX6190HD and hopefully will have a smooth install this coming weekend. Based on the installation instructions it looks to be a very easy install, all you have to do is go online to their website, enter the information for your install, flash the module, and then connect the plugs. Looks too easy, so I'm a little worried. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 AM
F150 Forum

Received 147 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jdvass
So today I had a Kenwood DNX9990HD with the iDatalink Maestro module installed in my 2012 F150. I gotta say I love it. Sync is still fully functional and integrated with the head unit, the steering wheel controls all work, and the navigation is great. If your thinking about either the DNX9990HD or the Maestro I would say go for it.

I miss my satellite radio though and am going to install a SXV200 satellite radio tuner so I get it back.

I'm wondering if anyone out there knows if you can somehow use the factory satellite radio antenna with the SXV200?
Hi,

I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news and this piece of information seems to be one thing that is not getting clearly communicated at retail, but you will not be able to add that tuner to your Kenwood. The reason is that the only Serial/Audio connection available to connect Maestro is the same connection needed to add this tuner. So, you will not have anywhere to plug it in. The only option for adding back sat tuner is to use a portable unit with a screen and Aux in on Kenwood. This was a decision Kenwood/ADS made togehter with the understanding that it is a limitation for sure. However, we all felt that people would rather have a solution this year instead of waiting for a hardware makeover in a year or so.

We are happy to hear you like the integration and welcome your feedback for features/upgrades. We have tried to make the installation and flashing process as simple as possible, but if there are things we can do better, we are all ears.

Regards,

12V Guy
Old 09-10-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 150 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 12V Guy
Hi,

I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news and this piece of information seems to be one thing that is not getting clearly communicated at retail, but you will not be able to add that tuner to your Kenwood. The reason is that the only Serial/Audio connection available to connect Maestro is the same connection needed to add this tuner. So, you will not have anywhere to plug it in. The only option for adding back sat tuner is to use a portable unit with a screen and Aux in on Kenwood. This was a decision Kenwood/ADS made togehter with the understanding that it is a limitation for sure. However, we all felt that people would rather have a solution this year instead of waiting for a hardware makeover in a year or so.

We are happy to hear you like the integration and welcome your feedback for features/upgrades. We have tried to make the installation and flashing process as simple as possible, but if there are things we can do better, we are all ears.

Regards,

12V Guy
Seriously? I didn't find this info anywhere before I bought this. It would have been nice to know. I sure hope my dealer will take this back for me. With this info I really don't think this module's worth it. Sync is nice but the Kenwood will do Bluetooth phone and control an iPod. If I would have known this I would not have purchased the Maestro.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Timn330
Can you post some pictures of the end result?
How much did all the Maestro stuff cost?
What kit did they use for the install, do you know? Was it Metra?

Thanks.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:04 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Hi,

Regards,

12V Guy
Crutchfield lists the SiriusXM SXV200V1 Tuner as being compatible. If it isn't then Kenwood did a huge disservice to its customers. Who in the hell wants to spend $1300 and still have to add on a portable Sirius unit?
Old 09-10-2012, 01:24 PM
F150 Forum

Received 147 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Crutchfield lists the SiriusXM SXV200V1 Tuner as being compatible. If it isn't then Kenwood did a huge disservice to its customers. Who in the hell wants to spend $1300 and still have to add on a portable Sirius unit?
Hi,

It's 100% not going to work. The Maestro plugs into the DIN socket on the back of the radio. The SXV200V1 also needs to plug into that port. The communication protocols are entirely different so there isn't a pass through or daisy chain solution possible.

I understand your frustration for sure, but not every customer that loves Sync is a Satellite radio subscriber. In addition, there are a fair number of vehicles where the external OEM tuner is retained and works. We will work with Crutchfield to ensure the fit information is corrected so this is understood ahead of time, pre-purchase.

Regards,

Mark
Old 09-10-2012, 03:25 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Hi,

It's 100% not going to work. The Maestro plugs into the DIN socket on the back of the radio. The SXV200V1 also needs to plug into that port. The communication protocols are entirely different so there isn't a pass through or daisy chain solution possible.

I understand your frustration for sure, but not every customer that loves Sync is a Satellite radio subscriber. In addition, there are a fair number of vehicles where the external OEM tuner is retained and works. We will work with Crutchfield to ensure the fit information is corrected so this is understood ahead of time, pre-purchase.

Regards,

Mark
Thanks for updating Crutchfield. But really for $1200 it should do everything including wiping my butt. It should have never went out to the public without providing SAT also.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a difference with an aftermarket satellite antenna? I have a lynx unit with an antenna I ran myself.

I am not to interested in keeping sync, but if I can I will. However I really like the 9990 and want to have Satellite radio, and steering wheel controls along with a backup camera.

Does the Maestro mean its a no go for satellite? I am a bit confused hence why I ask however I don't mean to hijack the thread just could not find a reason to start a new thread.

:thumb up: thanks!

Quick Reply: Kenwood DNX9990HD with iDatalink Maestro