Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

iSimple, Sirius & Sync ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default iSimple, Sirius & Sync ?

Probably a little late for me to be asking this question, but, I just received the iSimple / Sirius Kit for my truck today to add aftermarket sirius. This is the one I purchased: iSimple Sirius Upgrade

From what I've read thru different posts this will work on my basic non-nav oem head unit allowing me to have sirius. But, what I didn't think about until now is will I retain Sync? I couldn't confirm this one way or the other (thru searching) and I'm wondering if someone has done this? I don't want to waste my time doing an install if someone knows this won't work for sure w/sync... If not, I'll go ahead and do it and see when I get a chance.

Edit: The guys at tss radio said there would be no problem. So, I'll see what happens...

Last edited by mWags; 06-11-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed the kit this evening and it was fairly easy to do. Sync, Sirius, etc.function normally as they should. Regarding sirius / isimple I can navigate between between preset stations using the controls on the steering wheel which is cool. I noticed that I can only set 6 presets & I read somewhere else that might be an issue. I haven't had a chance to play with it alot, so, maybe there's a way to get more.

Regarding the install there are 3 bolts (7 mm) that you have to remove to get the faceplate off the front of the head unit. Two bolts are under the smaller rubber mat just in front of the LCD readout and the other is behind the "Sync" plate at the bottom just to the right of the cigarette lighter. You also need to loosen the trim on either side of the faceplate to get it off. Loosen these trim pieces from the bottom working your way up. It is not necessary to remove the trim pieces entirely. You then need to remove the tray on top of the dash for access behind the LCD screen. Remove the big rubber mat sitting in the tray and there are two bolts (7 mm) under there. Remove those and the tray lifts out. Lift up from the back (towards the windshield) of the tray as there is a lip in the front of the tray that helps secure it. You'll need to replace one of the plugs there and route the cable behind the screen to the cable behind the radio. I just mounted my sirius SCC1 and isimple box in the back as there plenty of room there under the radio. For the moment I have the antenna sitting on the front of the dash routed under the dashboard tray to the SCC1 below. The antenna was so easy to set up this way, so I thought I'd give it a shot first.

I found most of this through searches and the instructions from isimple but thought it might help. This isn't intended to be a complete set of instructions. One other thing, my screen sure looks like the readout is led bulbs not LCD. The instruction say LCD....

I'm happy with the kit and would recommend it. The folks at iSimple (tssRadio) sent the kit out right away and were good to deal with.

Edit: Regarding 6 presets. I have access to SAT1, SAT2 & SAT3. Not sure why it's like this, but, all three work settings work. So, by switching between the different SATs I have 18 presets. I'm using the different SATs for the different types of music. SAT1 for classic rock, SAT2 for Hip Hop, etc.

Last edited by mWags; 06-20-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mWags
Probably a little late for me to be asking this question, but, I just received the iSimple / Sirius Kit for my truck today to add aftermarket sirius. This is the one I purchased: iSimple Sirius Upgrade

From what I've read thru different posts this will work on my basic non-nav oem head unit allowing me to have sirius. But, what I didn't think about until now is will I retain Sync? I couldn't confirm this one way or the other (thru searching) and I'm wondering if someone has done this? I don't want to waste my time doing an install if someone knows this won't work for sure w/sync... If not, I'll go ahead and do it and see when I get a chance.

Edit: The guys at tss radio said there would be no problem. So, I'll see what happens...
Installed the iSimple kit this afternoon - mWags, thanks again for the help!

Install was a breeze, and the bulk of my stress was removing the dash to get to the head unit, but ended up stressing for nothing. Removal of the face took all of 10 minutes.

Adding pics to the post, hopefully will help others that want to add the kit or are just hesitant/confused about removing the radio dash in 2009 - 2011 model years.

Remove the rubber mat from the top of the center dash tray, two 7mm screws to remove. This is where you'll plug the PHHFD1A harness into the Sync system, so you'll be able to see Sirius channel, category, artist, etc.

I've had my Sirius antenna mounted under the tray since Day 1, and get fantastic reception, but YMMV.
iSimple, Sirius & Sync ?-image-346567959.jpg

iSimple, Sirius & Sync ?-image-4061147104.jpg

Remove the rubber insert in front of the center stack Sync screen, two more 7mm screws to remove.
iSimple, Sirius & Sync ?-image-2216017912.jpg

If you don't have an ashtray, use a dash removal tool to remove the Sync faceplate. Best way I found was to start on the bottom (seemed to have more give in the plastic) and pry gently. It will pop right out.
iSimple, Sirius & Sync ?-image-1663744663.jpg

One more 7mm screw to remove, behind the Sync faceplate.
iSimple, Sirius & Sync ?-image-2865784104.jpg

Gently work the side trim away from the dash. As mWags said, no need to completely remove the trim. Start from the bottom. This is what had me stressed, I'm like a bull in a china shop, and the thought of cracking or breaking a trim piece on a new truck was not amusing. Ended up stressing myself out for nothing. The pieces pop right out.
iSimple, Sirius & Sync ?-image-2762988280.jpg

iSimple, Sirius & Sync ?-image-2009003935.jpg

Removing the trim frees up the radio bezel, which pops right out.

1. 2 small wiring harnesses to unplug from the dash before you're able get to the head unit. Forgot to take pictures. Ooops.
2. Remove the four 7mm screws holding the head unit in place. There's a crap-ton of space behind and under the factory head unit, more than enough for the new harnesses, iSimple module and Sirius interface module.
3. Follow the directions at tssradio.com to plug everything in to each other. The printed instructions that come from iSimple blow. http://s3.amazonaws.com/spree/produc...pdf?1308953715

All Sync functionality is retained, which is cool.

Three sets of 6 presets between SAT1, SAT2 and SAT3, steering wheel controls work as advertised. Best of all, no more plug and play unit out in the open, along with associated antenna, power and aux-in wires looking all janky and stanky.

Hope this helps someone down the line.

Last edited by ReverendZJ; 12-22-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mWags,ReverendZJ

I'm also considering this move for my 11 Screw
do you have to complete the whole install,I'm
not all considered with the aux or ipod inputs
Thx Hinzy
Old 01-27-2012, 09:50 AM

I did have to complete the whole install. I already had iPod/iPhone connectivity through Sync, and have no use for the Aux/iPod input on the iSimple, so I didn't hook up the included cable. The iSimple gateway powered up, the Sirius interface powered up and all the info was being displayed correctly, but no sound. As soon as I plugged the Aux/iPod cable into the iSimple gateway, everything started working as advertised.

What I ended up doing was leaving the Aux cable plugged in, coiled up and zip tied in the space below the headunit without running the Aux cable anywhere accessible.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:56 AM

thanks for the info and the pm reply
great write up also
Old 01-28-2012, 08:44 AM

Rev,
a couple of questions
I assume looking at the directions the dipswitch pos # 3 is on since I have sync
and I gather since there is not an hd module the sirius
module goes in 8 pin # 2 closet to the dipswitch
Old 01-28-2012, 09:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Regardless of where you are getting your equipment, make certain that the unit has the most up to date firmware for the FD-11 for best operation.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by hinzy
Rev,
a couple of questions
I assume looking at the directions the dipswitch pos # 3 is on since I have sync
and I gather since there is not an hd module the sirius
module goes in 8 pin # 2 closet to the dipswitch
I have dip switch 2 set to on to preserve Sync functionality, the rest are in the off position. Dipswitch 3 on is only if you have integrated Sirius in your headunit.

You're correct with the port, if there's no HD module, plug the cable into the port closest to the dip switches.

As MKC70 said, make sure that the firmware on the gateway is up to date. There was an issue with the gateway draining your battery that the latest firmware update resolves.

Last edited by ReverendZJ; 01-28-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:22 PM

Rev,
thanks for all your input I think I'm gonna pull the trigger.
Does the esn id number show up on the radio display
or is the info on the sirius module?
Thanks again for all the help

Quick Reply: iSimple, Sirius & Sync ?