Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Integrating a Computer in my 2010.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Integrating a Computer in my 2010.

So i've had a JVC avx830 headunit in my truck for about the past year, but I've grown a little tired of it and decided to do something that I've always wanted to do. I am going to start a new computer project and integrate a computer into my trucks stereo system.

I will be building a mini pc with a fairly simple intel atom D510 processor and still working on the right way to run the outputs to my existing amps and stereo already wired into the truck. For the video portion i will be running a GeForce GTX460 mini pci-e card with HDMI output that will run into a Lilliput screen
(http://store.mp3car.com/Preassembled..._p/mon-125.htm)that will slide in where my current head unit resides. Probably run about 4gb ddr3 ram and use the spare 320gb hard drive i have sitting around. Since I already have a verizon mifi i will be able to have internet anywhere and will not have to carry my laptop with me from jobsite to jobsite.

With this setup i will also be able to keep a constant track of my engine vitals with a OBD viewer setup instead of running the amount of gauges i was planning on installing. Its always nice to have all of your music and a pretty extensive part of my movie collection just a click away. I spend A LOT of time in my truck, roughly 35-40k miles a year, so i figured it was time to start the project. Anybody else ever done anything like this?
Old 01-18-2011, 02:14 AM

Received 144 Likes on 42 Posts

Me.

I have a carPC build around here somewhere...

Edit: Here it is... https://www.f150forum.com/f38/my-car...rogress-68092/

I still need to incorporate my Joycon EX steering wheel controller, install GPS navigation (going between Destinator and Garmin, but have the USB GPS receiver), auto-updates, change the audio interface, and add a second battery to the truck.

A friend of mine wrote a program for me so that my CarPC will automatically update my library in my truck to clone my library on my server each time it connects to the network (when I pull into the driveway). When I connect, the application looks for modified or new files, and updates the library, once it is done, the PC goes to sleep. My PC is always on, but goes to sleep one minute after the truck is shut off and a door opens. The PC draws so little power in sleep, that I'm not concerned leaving it sit for a couple days. I did though, forget to shut it down completely when I parked it at the airport for a week. Came back to the truck with a dead battery, which is why I'm planning to add a second which is dedicated only for the audio, but will still charge from the alternator. It also wont affect the main truck battery, so if the battery tied to the PC dies, then no power is going to the PC and the primary truck battery is still strong.

Let me know if you have any questions. I love talking about this techy stuff.

Good luck!

Last edited by eptesicus; 01-18-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eptesicus
I love talking about this techy stuff.

Good luck!
I would hope so with Moss for an avatar.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:01 PM

Received 144 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnr5
I would hope so with Moss for an avatar.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The carputer was put on hold for a little while but i'm back at it now. What kind of sound board did you use to integrate the computer into the trucks stereo? I decided to go with the i3 processor after doing some reading and realizing it would be much better suited to my build.

Quick Reply: Integrating a Computer in my 2010.