Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Help? I burned up my radio somehow.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help? I burned up my radio somehow.

I was doing a sub/amp install (kicker L7 12” with a kicker cx1200.1)

i have the 6 speaker stock system. But I just upgraded all four speakers. And then finally tonight I was doing the sub. Well I thought I had everything wired up correctly (followed the no door panel removal thread) remote wire to fuse 23 inside fuse box, tapped both sides and ran speaker wire back to my amp then ran rcas out to my sub. I have no idea what went wrong and fried whatever.

i turned the truck on and immediately my speakers were freaking out with no real sound just loud sharp noises and I couldn’t turn anything down or turn the radio off with the buttons on the dash. Then it started smoking from behind my radio (this was in all of 5-7seconds). I turned it off and unplugged everything from the amp and it did it again when I tried to turn the truck on. Now I have removed the power wire from the battery and started the truck back up and I’m fine. I don’t u deratand ahat happened. Clearly it has something to do with my 4 gauge power wire but how?

Last edited by xcremente; 06-11-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:29 AM

None of the radio controls work at all on the radio either. The screen is working but none of the hard buttons below the screen work and like I said no sound what so ever.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Sounds like you hooked up something wrong and shorted out your radio. Are you sure you tapped into the correct wires for your high level signal?

If your power wire was shorted out to the chassis, it would have blown the inline fuse that you installed with your 4 gauge wire near your battery.

How do RCA's go to your sub? You should have tapped the speaker wires, then plugged those into the high level-inputs on your amplifier or into a Line out converter (which turns the signal into an RCA), then speaker outputs into your subwoofer. If you hooked those rear speaker taps into the speaker outputs of your amplifier, you screwed up bad.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kanadian-kaos
Sounds like you hooked up something wrong and shorted out your radio. Are you sure you tapped into the correct wires for your high level signal?

If your power wire was shorted out to the chassis, it would have blown the inline fuse that you installed with your 4 gauge wire near your battery.

How do RCA's go to your sub? You should have tapped the speaker wires, then plugged those into the high level-inputs on your amplifier or into a Line out converter (which turns the signal into an RCA), then speaker outputs into your subwoofer. If you hooked those rear speaker taps into the speaker outputs of your amplifier, you screwed up bad.

i ran the wires from the hogh level input to the +, - speaker terminals on the amp. And then ran RCAs out of the output to the sub. Otherwise I don’t see where the input would go unless I brought the hogh level input together and then tapped them into a RCA and then plugged them into my RCA inputs. But I figured that was for if I had a aftermarket headunit and was running then from the back of the headunit.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:22 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanadian-kaos

My questions exactly. HU is fried.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:33 PM

Well that’s what I get I suppose. Damn it, I guess I’ll remove all my wires and take in and at least give it a shot to get it covered under warranty.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:49 PM

Anyone happen to know the part number for the radio? 2018 STX with 8” screen
Old 06-12-2018, 01:37 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

Damn sorry to hear bud. Might have been a better route to go with an installer to avoid issues like this. It would be cheaper in the end I think instead of learning the hard way. I'm not trying to rub it in. Just hoping you have someone else do it for you next time.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:39 PM

So what I should have done is wired the two positives from the speaker together and then the two negatives together and bought the RCA to speaker wire adapter and connected them to that and then plugged them into the input rca plugs on the amp?

Gotta learn somehow. The radios don’t look too bad to replace so that’s a plus.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:05 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

Yes correct.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

The following users liked this post:
xcremente (06-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Help? I burned up my radio somehow.