Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Chimes no longer going through speakers after aftermarket stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chimes no longer going through speakers after aftermarket stereo install

Kept the stock receiver and installed small block amp, speakers and power supwoofer. Not looking to wake up the neighborhood. Just enhance the stock stereo. After install, door / start up chimes and back up sensor beep is dull and no longer piped through speakers. Installer is baffled as well. Any suggestions on how to bring the beep back? BTW, 2015 f150 lariat

Last edited by Echoboy; 08-18-2017 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention model
The following users liked this post:
Tucker Mitchell (02-27-2021)
Old 08-19-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

How did you wire the amp in? Did you use a harness like the FOR-11CK or cut and splice into factory wiring?
Old 08-20-2017, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the reply Neckbone. Actually I had the stereo put in by a professional shop. He says he's stumped on what to do with the push button starts and sync systems in the newer Fords. I think he should have taken a class before he agreed to work on my doggone truck! Anyway, I took it back to him to fix the other issues and unfortunately there are new issues. I don't want to take it back to him until I figure out solutions. I feel by educating myself I can guide the others to perform the job correctly without collateral damage. So, to answer the original question, I'm not sure if he used that component or not? Also I'm not sur if he spliced into the original wiring. What are my options?
Old 08-20-2017, 07:36 PM

I ask because I did an amp install myself and used the aforementioned wiring harness. My chimes and Sync beeps all still work. I bet he spliced wires and messed something up. I'd ask his method and then go get a second opinion at another car audio place.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:45 AM

Are the chimes and beeps going through the speakers? Mine still operate but is only heard though the dash speaker. I thought about the second opinion and I wonder how much would someone charge just to look? Unfortunately I live amongst a very competitive market and may get beat up more paying for bad advice. Since I'm great at home entertainment systems, if I do my research, I can possibly figure out what to do about the car system. Plus, now I have the f 150 forum to get some answers to frantically asked questions. Although I will look it up, what does the FOR-11CK harness do? He did put in a device for crossovers. Not sure if we are talking the same thing though?
Old 08-21-2017, 10:21 AM

Yes, the chimes come through the speakers. The wiring harness allows you to put in an inline amp while maintaining the factory head unit.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:35 PM

Hindsight is twenty twenty! I will mention this to the owner and see what he's going to do for me. Lifetime warranty on all his work and he didn't hesitate to the idea of new research. He's on vacation this week and I'll wait until he gets back. Meanwhile, I have headlights and fog lights to install (he was going to do that too but I stopped him after this) and power stop brakes and rotors. DIY for those. Was just intimidated with the stereo. Guess it takes one to get angry in order to lose intimidation. I'll post with more questions later I'm sure. Thanks for the tips.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Echoboy
Kept the stock receiver and installed small block amp, speakers and power supwoofer. Not looking to wake up the neighborhood. Just enhance the stock stereo. After install, door / start up chimes and back up sensor beep is dull and no longer piped through speakers. Installer is baffled as well. Any suggestions on how to bring the beep back? BTW, 2015 f150 lariat
Ever find a solution? Same thing happened to me. I have a 2016 Lariat 8" screen/with NAV and Sync3 NO Sony. I used the FOR11CK harness, took the speaker wires to the high level inputs on the amp then back to the factory wires to the speakers. Nothing crazy, but now I only get chimes out of the dash.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Grhmw
Ever find a solution? Same thing happened to me. I have a 2016 Lariat 8" screen/with NAV and Sync3 NO Sony. I used the FOR11CK harness, took the speaker wires to the high level inputs on the amp then back to the factory wires to the speakers. Nothing crazy, but now I only get chimes out of the dash.
Strange because I used the exact same setup with XLT, 8" Sync 3, Nav, no sony and my chimes come through the speakers. In fact, they're really loud now. Amplified as it were. Maybe certain amplifiers don't allow the chime signal to pass through. FWIW, I'm using the Alpine 445U class D amp.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Neckbone
Strange because I used the exact same setup with XLT, 8" Sync 3, Nav, no sony and my chimes come through the speakers. In fact, they're really loud now. Amplified as it were. Maybe certain amplifiers don't allow the chime signal to pass through. FWIW, I'm using the Alpine 445U class D amp.
Are you using a DSP before the amp?
I am also fighting hissing noise if I turn the gains up?

Quick Reply: Chimes no longer going through speakers after aftermarket stereo install