Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

**Best amp for two 12" L7 Solo Baric's?**

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 01:40 PM
03' King Ranch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question **Best amp for two 12" L7 Solo Baric's?**

Well, i have 2 12" Solo Baric L7's that I am going to put in my 03 Super Crew

I'm wondering about the best amp?

They run 1500/750 max/rms each. I did have a Power Acoustik Class D monoblock 3000W in my last setup pushing both of them.

I'm now thinking a 1000W Monoblock Class D for each. Any comments on this setup? More power, maybe a 1200 for each? What kind of amp?

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-11-2011, 03:45 PM

Main question is what ohm load are the subs? Dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm? In my personal opinion, and its just my opinion, but from an installation point of view it would be easier to do a single amp setup. When I installed we always tried to do a big single over 2 amps... less wiring, easier to set the gains with one amp, and less space to be taken up since 2 smaller will probably still have a bigger footprint than the single amp.
What kind of budget are you working with? I have always been a big fan of Memphis sub amps, but there are so many brands out there now days. I have been out of the industry for a few years so I am probably not aware of all the brands out there.
If you do like the seperate amps, I love my Alpine PDX1.1000. Almost 1100 watts RMS and only roughly 9"x10" I think. Mine fits easy under my front seat.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:54 PM
03' King Ranch

Originally Posted by pjc1800
Main question is what ohm load are the subs? Dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm? In my personal opinion, and its just my opinion, but from an installation point of view it would be easier to do a single amp setup. When I installed we always tried to do a big single over 2 amps... less wiring, easier to set the gains with one amp, and less space to be taken up since 2 smaller will probably still have a bigger footprint than the single amp.
What kind of budget are you working with? I have always been a big fan of Memphis sub amps, but there are so many brands out there now days. I have been out of the industry for a few years so I am probably not aware of all the brands out there.
If you do like the seperate amps, I love my Alpine PDX1.1000. Almost 1100 watts RMS and only roughly 9"x10" I think. Mine fits easy under my front seat.

I think they are 4ohm but I usually wire them down to 2.

Money wont be a factor really by the time I am allowed to do it...dad still owns the truck and wont let me till I graduate college...and amp space isnt that much of a big deal either.

I was thinking with 2 amps I could tune more for the high and one more for lows.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:58 PM

When you say one for high and one for lows... do you mean, one amp for the subs and one for the other door speakers?
Old 09-11-2011, 04:01 PM
03' King Ranch

When you say one for high and one for lows... do you mean, one amp for the subs and one for the other door speakers?

No I mean one for each sub.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:06 PM

I would play each sub at the same frequency. This is totally my opinion, but the frequency range those subs play isnt a big enough range to try and split between 2 subs and they could actually sound worse than if the are set exactly the same. There are times in SQ where there are dedicated midbasses to pick up the "higher bass notes" but in something like this its not needed. Have thos subs play from 80hz and below and you will be good. They will play pleanty low with a good amount of power to them.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:14 PM
03' King Ranch

I would play each sub at the same frequency. This is totally my opinion, but the frequency range those subs play isnt a big enough range to try and split between 2 subs and they could actually sound worse than if the are set exactly the same. There are times in SQ where there are dedicated midbasses to pick up the "higher bass notes" but in something like this its not needed. Have thos subs play from 80hz and below and you will be good. They will play pleanty low with a good amount of power to them.
True, with the square as well there wouldnt be much diff. Plus I really Like the LOW lol.

I'm just thinking 2 amps because that would be less strain per amp and more actual power per sub. From what I understand also, as you go higher up In amp power you actually get further and further from the said power output and what is actually puts out...?
Old 09-11-2011, 04:55 PM

If you get a very reliable brand... you wont have to worry about the specs being "off" or exagerated. I like simple wiring and making the system with the least amount of components, thats why I like a single amp setup. If you have 2 amps that are 1000 watts RMS each or one amp that is 2000 watts RMS, they workload will be the same. Its totally personal preference. You will probably be able to get a single amp at a certain amount of power than you could get 2 smaller amps that equal the same amount of power.
If you do look at seperate amps I have had great experience as an installer with Memphis 1000D's. Small footprint too. I love my Alpine PDX1.1000. Kicker amps seemed to be a great choice too. I know these are all "mainstream" amps but that what we sold when I was working as an installer. I have heard great things about some of the new Kenwood amps and they are fairly small too.
If you decide to to with one amp, Kicker and Memphis make some big amps as well as other companies.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:19 PM
"Lifted"

Received 223 Likes on 200 Posts

Match it with a Kicker ZX1500.1.. I had the zx2500.1 on two 15L7's and it was perfect..
Old 09-11-2011, 05:50 PM
03' King Ranch

Originally Posted by KingRanch4Life
Match it with a Kicker ZX1500.1.. I had the zx2500.1 on two 15L7's and it was perfect..
Two 1500's or one?

one 1500 would run each sub at RMS

Quick Reply: **Best amp for two 12" L7 Solo Baric's?**