Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Audison 8.9: Where to buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 07:34 PM

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Audison 8.9: Where to buy

The Audison 8.9 combo amp/dsp gets brought up a lot here - anyone use one? Where can I buy it in the US? Is it a dealer-only thing?

For those of you using it, do you also use the dedicated sub out to add a separate mono sub amp? Looks like that is supported.

Working on upgrading my 2018 Plat B&O system. From what I am reading the Audison unit does a good job of handling the factory signals/eq, has a great DSP, and the amp itself is good and will power my 4 doors+center. Thinking of installing this, a separate amp for a hideaway sub, and new door/pillar speakers.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:05 PM

To answer my own question in case others want to know, I found it at a local dealer on sale for $599. It retails for $999 but that was a couple years ago so there may be a new model coming.

It is a fairly kickass amp that has a DSP/signal converter built in - you don't need an external LOC, etc. with this unit. And the DSP is the same as the Bit One, meaning it is near top of the line, especially at that price.

It's also very flexible - there's an un-amped 9th channel you can use as a sub pre-out to a separate amp if you want to add more power. You can start off with using it unbridged to power doors and sub, then later on you can add an amp for the sub and bridge the 8 channels to 4 for your doors if you want more power, for example. The DSP will work for the external sub amp too. Leaves you decent flexibility for future upgrades and the DSP/tuning software is pretty great.
The following users liked this post:
pohlmeyr (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 10:18 PM

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

MSRP is always high, just depends on the dealer for what price you get offered. $599 is definitely a good price and if you want a all in one amp/dsp it’s definitely a nice option.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:36 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been looking at an amp with DSP built in. been recommended the audio control LC6.1200. Looks pretty solid.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Yinger
I've been looking at an amp with DSP built in. been recommended the audio control LC6.1200. Looks pretty solid.
For factor HU integration on a 2018 Ford I think you still need a LOC like the LC7 with that LC6 (I could be wrong about this); also the DSP in the Audison is near unmatched in quality in my experience and that of the installers I know in my area. The Audison 8.9 handles it all. Though with the latter if you use aftermarket speakers you'll probably want to add an outboard sub amp too and bridge the 8.9 down to 4 channels in order to get good power overall.

If you have the Sync 4'' screen I believe you can just swap it out with a better, bigger HU that has proper pre-outs. If you have the 8'' Sync screen it's generally not recommended to replace, thus you need another path to integrate. With the 2018 B&O there's no option to disable the OEM EQ/send flat signals via Forscan like there is with the previous Sony (and stock) so a good converter is needed and the AC series doesn't get great reviews for that around these parts. Another reason I went Audison.

Last edited by planetix; 03-02-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:35 PM

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Mosconi has a 6 channel DSP amp and Sony has a cheaper option ($399) coming out as well but with 40Wx6. I know the Audison will clean up the factory signal, no experience with the others besides JLs system.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:25 AM

The JL Fix 86 is better at cleaning up signals and has a real DSP unlike, say, the LC7i. The Audison Bit One is even better than the JL 86. And the Audison 8.9 is a slightly feature-reduced version of the Bit One with an 8 channel (4 bridged) amp. Then at the higher end Mosconi, etc. make DSPs that blow them all away, but at a steep price and with trickier integration with the OEM Sync HU. I don't know anything about that Sony amp but I am not sure it'd fit what I want to do, given that I can use the .9 pre-out for a sub amp and bridge the Audison for 4 channels, something a 6 channel can't do.

Comes down to what you have and what you are trying to get out of it. If I had a pre-2018 F-150 w/the Sony that I could use Forscan to disable the EQ and deliver flat low level signals that didn't need to be cleaned up I would go with a different combo of DSP/AMP most likely. With the 2018 B&O I need to clean up the signals and provide good overall amplification and processing afterwards since the build in DSP is essentially negated, and the 8.9 is pretty much designed to do this in one package.

The other issue with the 2018 B&O is the A-pillar tweeters are wired through the ACP and crossed over internally there, the upshot being you need to run new wires to outboard crossovers in order to use the tweeters with an external amp solution even if you keep the stock tweeters. If you go aftermarket for speakers Components are therefore your best bet.

Last edited by planetix; 03-03-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:28 AM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by planetix
For factor HU integration on a 2018 Ford I think you still need a LOC like the LC7 with that LC6 (I could be wrong about this); also the DSP in the Audison is near unmatched in quality in my experience and that of the installers I know in my area. The Audison 8.9 handles it all. Though with the latter if you use aftermarket speakers you'll probably want to add an outboard sub amp too and bridge the 8.9 down to 4 channels in order to get good power overall.

If you have the Sync 4'' screen I believe you can just swap it out with a better, bigger HU that has proper pre-outs. If you have the 8'' Sync screen it's generally not recommended to replace, thus you need another path to integrate. With the 2018 B&O there's no option to disable the OEM EQ/send flat signals via Forscan like there is with the previous Sony (and stock) so a good converter is needed and the AC series doesn't get great reviews for that around these parts. Another reason I went Audison.
the lc6.1200 has a built in dsp like the Audison
Old 03-09-2018, 01:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yinger, do you know anyone that can hook up pricing?
Old 01-25-2019, 10:24 PM

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by planetix

If I have a 2017 Lariat with the 501a (without Sony), I am finally tried of the "Crampery" Ford OEM system (I was in a Friends F150 2018 Lariat with the B&O (it was the 502a package, I know it's factory but I did not realize how bad my system was!) upgrading/replace the factory sound and keeping the HU and going with the Audison 8.9 (or the 4.9 and using a different amp for the subwoofer) or Audiocontrol D4.800 would be a preferred route? I kind of like the spec on the Audison (running 4Ch bridge), but I am having issues find one in the US below MSRP. Just wondering where you find yours?

Bill

Quick Reply: Audison 8.9: Where to buy