Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

amplifier/subwoofer upgrade from factory sub wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking amplifier/subwoofer upgrade from factory sub wiring

I just bought a Kicker 08ZX750.1 amplifier, and 2 Kenwood eXcelon KFC-XW1200F subwoofers.

I plan to wire it using part of the existing wiring from the factory subwoofer that is already in the truck so I can keep the stock navigation system without too much change in the wiring. I've found a diagram for the wiring in the factory subwoofer plug and plan to use the remote wire and the speaker inputs from the stock harness. I'd like to know if the speaker inputs are high or low level, or how to test it on my own. The only way i know of is to try the high level on the amp first then try the low. If anyone has an answer your help would be much appreciated!

I'll post some pics and some install info in about a week when my gear gets here!
Old 06-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by owengg
I just bought a Kicker 08ZX750.1 amplifier, and 2 Kenwood eXcelon KFC-XW1200F subwoofers.

I plan to wire it using part of the existing wiring from the factory subwoofer that is already in the truck so I can keep the stock navigation system without too much change in the wiring. I've found a diagram for the wiring in the factory subwoofer plug and plan to use the remote wire and the speaker inputs from the stock harness. I'd like to know if the speaker inputs are high or low level, or how to test it on my own. The only way i know of is to try the high level on the amp first then try the low. If anyone has an answer your help would be much appreciated!

I'll post some pics and some install info in about a week when my gear gets here!
I believe there is a breakdown of the audiophile harness here somewhere...I think FOMOCO466 is the poster.

Do you think the wiring for that little audiophile is gonna cut it for that setup? I doubt it. 4G min is usually warranted for that no? Not a stereo buff by far, but that is my understanding.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by SinCityFX4
I believe there is a breakdown of the audiophile harness here somewhere...I think FOMOCO466 is the poster.

Do you think the wiring for that little audiophile is gonna cut it for that setup? I doubt it. 4G min is usually warranted for that no? Not a stereo buff by far, but that is my understanding.
I wasn't going to use the power or ground, but i was going to use the speaker wiring and hopefuly the remote wire. I'm just not sure if the speaker wiring specifically is high or low level. Since the wiring goes to the factory amp/sub I thought there was a chance it could be low level. I'm also not quite sure the factory 5 volt remote will work to tell the amp to turn on.

I have a 4 gauge kicker amp wiring kit coming with my order for the power and so forth.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:25 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

wanna sell the OEM sub assembly?
Old 06-10-2009, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by obusnizzle
wanna sell the OEM sub assembly?
I am going to sell it actually. I was gonna list it on ebay or sell it on here around the first of july when I get back from vacation.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:36 PM
none.

I am going to sell it actually. I was gonna list it on ebay or sell it on here around the first of july when I get back from vacation.
shoot me a PM
Old 06-15-2009, 10:02 PM

I got my amplifier and subs installed today! Well, I've been working on it after work for about 3 days now. It was working yesterday, but I got all of the wiring hidden and cleaned everything up this evening.

After looking all over for a good place to hook the remote wire to my amplifier (fuse box, head unit wiring, etc.) I found that pin #2 (green wire with yellow stripe) on the 24 pin factory head unit connector puts out 12 volts only in the accessory and on positions. The 5 volt remote from the factory subwoofer just wouldn't cut it on my new amp.

Im not sure if all 2004-2008 f150 head units have the same color coding, but my Mark LT with Nav works perfectly now!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:32 PM
none.

do you still plan on selling the oem sub?

BTW, we need pics!
Old 06-16-2009, 04:53 PM

I will have the OEM subwoofer and amplifier for sale, but I won't list it on ebay or whatever until the end of the month since I'm going on vacation next week and won't be at home to ship it when the auction ends. It will absolutely be for sale though.

I'll be off work on thursday and I will probably post some pics of the install before I head out to thursty thursday! Nothing like $1 beer and baseball, even when your team never wins!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

I wasn't going to use the power or ground, but i was going to use the speaker wiring and hopefuly the remote wire. I'm just not sure if the speaker wiring specifically is high or low level. Since the wiring goes to the factory amp/sub I thought there was a chance it could be low level. I'm also not quite sure the factory 5 volt remote will work to tell the amp to turn on.

I have a 4 gauge kicker amp wiring kit coming with my order for the power and so forth.
So how did you get the high level signal from?

Quick Reply: amplifier/subwoofer upgrade from factory sub wiring