Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Aftermarket HU Bluetooth Mic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 05:54 PM
jp1

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Aftermarket HU Bluetooth Mic?

I'm gathering all the information I can on swapping in a new head unit into my 2017 XLT w/the 4.2" screen. The one item I'm not sure of is how and where to mount the new Bluetooth mic.

If you have installed one already, would someone mind sharing pics and some tips on how/where the mic is mounted?

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2018, 06:28 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

most people mount them either along the headliner/front window somewhere or on top of the steering column, the latter being much easier to route the wires to.

obviously not out truck but this gives you the idea:

Old 01-22-2018, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it have to be a bluetooth mic? Sounds like something else that could go wrong.
If you have the option to do the wired one, I did something....different.

I just got done putting in a Pioneer AVH-X4500BT, and while looking for a good place to put the mic, realised I have a very close by spot that most might not think about.

While you are installing the radio, you will be removing the center channel speaker from service. I literally just laid the mic underneath the speaker cover, on top of the speaker. It won't be outputting audio, and it is nice and center with a lovely parabolic windshield to gather your or your passengers voice.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:46 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by sesheron
Does it have to be a bluetooth mic? Sounds like something else that could go wrong.
pretty sure they meant the mic for talking while using bt and a phone. would be kinda silly to connect a mic via bt and not be able to connect the phone
Old 01-23-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

I just got done putting in a Pioneer AVH-X4500BT, and while looking for a good place to put the mic, realised I have a very close by spot that most might not think about.

While you are installing the radio, you will be removing the center channel speaker from service. I literally just laid the mic underneath the speaker cover, on top of the speaker. It won't be outputting audio, and it is nice and center with a lovely parabolic windshield to gather your or your passengers voice.
Not a good spot. It should be closer to your voice. And not covered up
Old 01-24-2018, 01:55 AM

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

Maybe you are happy with this but that's really not a great spot for the mic which is why most probably don't think about it

Top of the steering column is good, and easy. Otherwise run it the recommended way up around the A pillars to the roofline and clip it to the visor or near the roof console.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:19 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by planetix
Maybe you are happy with this but that's really not a great spot for the mic which is why most probably don't think about it

Top of the steering column is good, and easy. Otherwise run it the recommended way up around the A pillars to the roofline and clip it to the visor or near the roof console.
A pillar is best and easy to do.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:40 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Mine is on the steering column. Never had any problems with it there and it is IMO the easiest place to put it, you only have to run the wire like a foot and its right in front of your face while driving.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:49 PM

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

Only problem with steering mount is passengers sometimes strain to be heard especially in large cabins like ours. I had one in a Titan a few years ago mounted like that.

Works great for the driver though.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HU Bluetooth Mic?