Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Adding amp to 2014 W/ Sony....I know another one.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 10:47 AM
Sarge

Received 1,643 Likes on 797 Posts

Question Adding amp to 2014 W/ Sony?....I know another one.

I know this thread has been discussed a million times and have read through several threads but I just want some insight from those that have done this or know what they are doing.

My 14 came with the 8" Sony w/Nav set up with the factory sub. Obviously the sub is not up to par so I'd like to replace it. Currently I have a 10" Image Dynamics sub in an Atrend Box that I'll be using from a previous F150. I need to pick up an amp and other obvious install items but my question is:

How to supply signal to the new amp?

From what I've read, use an AudioControl LC2i to tap into the front speaker signals. Everything after that is just a normal amp install correct?

I couldn't find one, but is their a write up for this?
Which wires to tap into and are they under the front door sills?

Also to add, I was running a 500 Kicker single channel to power the amp before. Anyone have a suggestion for a new amp?

Last edited by 96grimreaper; 10-23-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:20 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by 96grimreaper
I know this thread has been discussed a million times and have read through several threads but I just want some insight from those that have done this or know what they are doing.

My 14 came with the 8" Sony w/Nav set up with the factory sub. Obviously the sub is not up to par so I'd like to replace it. Currently I have a 10" Image Dynamics sub in an Atrend Box that I'll be using from a previous F150. I need to pick up an amp and other obvious install items but my question is:

How to supply signal to the new amp?

From what I've read, use an AudioControl LC2i to tap into the front speaker signals. Everything after that is just a normal amp install correct?

I couldn't find one, but is their a write up for this?
Which wires to tap into and are they under the front door sills?

Also to add, I was running a 500 Kicker single channel to power the amp before. Anyone have a suggestion for a new amp?
All you need is a High to low level converter. Splice it onto the existing factory sub wire and run an RCA to your new amp.
Your new sub amp will depend on your budget.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:07 PM
Sarge

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
All you need is a High to low level converter. Splice it onto the existing factory sub wire and run an RCA to your new amp.
Your new sub amp will depend on your budget.
Just verifying the LC2i would be the right converter?

From what I read, I thought it was better to tap into the front or rear speakers as opposed to the factory sub wiring...but I'll fully admit I'm very ignorant to this.

Thank you
Old 10-24-2016, 12:03 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Just verifying the LC2i would be the right converter?

From what I read, I thought it was better to tap into the front or rear speakers as opposed to the factory sub wiring...but I'll fully admit I'm very ignorant to this.

Thank you
Way over kill. You could use the front but the sub is already crossed over in the Sony. This is all you need.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...erter&_sacat=0
Old 10-24-2016, 01:15 PM
Sarge

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Way over kill. You could use the front but the sub is already crossed over in the Sony. This is all you need.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...erter&_sacat=0
Great, thank you.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:54 PM

Received 123 Likes on 118 Posts

Great, thank you.
This end up working for you?

I'm exactly where you were back in October....just trying to figure out the best spot. I really don't want to run a remote turn on wire so I am either going to get an amp with the signal sensing turn on or just get the LC2i and use it mainly for the remote turn on feature because it's a bit overkill for just a LOC. I do like that it has that bass roll-off correction but I've never messed around with that type of stuff before. I've only wired my systems to aftermarket headunits which is child's play.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

This is what I ended up buying and not needing. I still have it and it's been set up to work with an amp already (Cutting the RCA input wires to use for direct feed from your source wire, I.E. the factory amp harness) if you want it.

Unless, of course, the amp you choose has this stuff built in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-10-2017, 09:14 AM
Sarge

Originally Posted by 06F150CFCT
This end up working for you?

I'm exactly where you were back in October....just trying to figure out the best spot. I really don't want to run a remote turn on wire so I am either going to get an amp with the signal sensing turn on or just get the LC2i and use it mainly for the remote turn on feature because it's a bit overkill for just a LOC. I do like that it has that bass roll-off correction but I've never messed around with that type of stuff before. I've only wired my systems to aftermarket headunits which is child's play.
I actually never ended up adding an amp, just decided not to mess with it.