Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2017 screw stereo upgrade suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 01:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default 2017 screw stereo upgrade suggestions.

Hey guys love everything about my 2017 Screw except the stereo sound. I have the NON-Sony 7 speaker set up with the sync 4.3inch screen with nav.

The sound is just flat sounding and no where near my stock system in my 14 ram was.

I am a complete novice and really do not understand much about car audio despite hours of reading here and online.

I want to keep the stock head unit for stock looks and nav but want to have a much better sounding system. I'm not looking to set car alarms off with bass but I do want some bottom end and well rounded mids and highs.

I'm thinking new speakers and an amp is what i need? I would like to keep the speakers in stock locations and not drill any holes. Basically want it all to look stock but sound great lol.

Since I have no experience I would likely have a local shop do the install but wanted to run all this past you guys to make sure I don't get ripped off etc. My upper budget with install is 1k.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help you can give my newbie butt. Lol.

J-
Old 02-19-2017, 04:25 PM
Mass Effect

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

$1000 is gonna be a little on the low if you're wanting to hire the installation out but could still be done. I'd shop around the local shops and see what kind of deals they will make you.

I'd rather upgrade to really good speakers running off the stock head unit more than I would some entry level speakers and an amp. Speakers are the most important part of your stereo so you should put the bulk of your budget in those. The stock speaker locations are easily doable with some adapters that can be bought from Metra, Scosche and a few other manufacturers so that's not a problem.

Here is a great thread on how to take stuff out and install it. If you think you could do it yourself, it would really be worth it. You could save several hundred dollars in installation fees that you could put towards better gear.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:33 PM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by _MacLeod_
$1000 is gonna be a little on the low if you're wanting to hire the installation out but could still be done. I'd shop around the local shops and see what kind of deals they will make you.

I'd rather upgrade to really good speakers running off the stock head unit more than I would some entry level speakers and an amp. Speakers are the most important part of your stereo so you should put the bulk of your budget in those. The stock speaker locations are easily doable with some adapters that can be bought from Metra, Scosche and a few other manufacturers so that's not a problem.

Here is a great thread on how to take stuff out and install it. If you think you could do it yourself, it would really be worth it. You could save several hundred dollars in installation fees that you could put towards better gear.
I agree with you 100%.

In my opinion, when someone wants to upgrade their car stereo from stock, they tend to think they need to get everything all at one time and that usually destroys their budget and then they start making compromises.

The OP really should step up his budget another 750-1000 and he`ll be much happier I think.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by _MacLeod_

Yea If i end of just doing speakers I def could do that myself.

I wasn't sure, not having much knowledge on car audio stuff if just changing out speakers would be enough or it if the aftermarket speakers would need an amp to drive them to over come the lack of power from the stock head unit. The amp and other stuff related to it (cross overs, processors etc) is what I have no idea about and frankly don't have the mind for ( I can wire/pumb/build houses, work on diesel truck and fab stuff but this stuff is like Greek to me).

I used to have a buddy that owned a shop and I would just drop me vehicles off to him and say "make it sound good" and pick it up at the end of the day only paying cost for product, but un-fortunately he is no longer around so I don't even have him just to bounce ideas off.

Thanks for the info and keep it coming.

J-