Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2012 SCREW Plat wNav head unit replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 11:51 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2012 SCREW Plat wNav head unit replacement?

When I first got my truck back in 2015, there were no upgrade paths available for the 2012s with nav. Now there is the maestro system to integrate headunits, and apparently double dins can be made to fit. This blog post has given me hope: http://www.carstereochick.com/2016/02/06/replacing-a-defective-factory-navigation-radio-in-a-2012-f-150-with-kenwoods-ddx9902s/

Have any of you done this? Does everything work as expected? Seems as though everything should work great according to the Maestro website. Just curious about hands-on experience.

Brandon
Old 04-09-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrandonb
When I first got my truck back in 2015, there were no upgrade paths available for the 2012s with nav. Now there is the maestro system to integrate headunits, and apparently double dins can be made to fit. This blog post has given me hope: http://www.carstereochick.com/2016/0...oods-ddx9902s/

Have any of you done this? Does everything work as expected? Seems as though everything should work great according to the Maestro website. Just curious about hands-on experience.

Brandon
Man you are really behind by about 3 years. Yes it works. You really need to do a search. There are hundreds of threads about this.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:41 PM
Dazed and Confused

Yeah, I know I am. That's why I'm asking. I have confirmed that basically everything works. What I'm now stuck on is what it takes to replace the factory nav with a double din. That I haven't been able to find for a Sony/nav 14th gen. They don't make any aftermarket kits for my specific trim.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:30 PM

Yeah, I know I am. That's why I'm asking. I have confirmed that basically everything works. What I'm now stuck on is what it takes to replace the factory nav with a double din. That I haven't been able to find for a Sony/nav 14th gen. They don't make any aftermarket kits for my specific trim.

It looks like a kit from a regular F150. I have never seen it done before with a factory Nav. You could ask her.

http://www.carstereochick.com/contact-me/
Old 04-15-2018, 04:24 PM
Dazed and Confused

That's the navigation dash. No one makes a kit for it. Look at the top row of buttons, plus she explains it's a platinum with nav and sony in the article.

I did ask her. No response, which I sort of expected. I thought I'd ask here, too, in case someone here has replaced their factory nav with an aftermarket hu and maestro.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:11 PM

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Please keep this updated with what you end up with.I wanted to do this a couple years ago but dont know enough about it .and I just dont understand it all.Went to a local car guy but back in 05 when they installed something on another vehicle they gave NO support so it was useless to me.If that Car Stereo Chick. was closer I'd take it to her
Old 04-16-2018, 11:15 AM
Dazed and Confused

I'm debating on whether I'm going to do it or not. Several other things on my plate at the moment. I will report back once I do.

Brandon
Old 04-16-2018, 11:17 AM

That's the navigation dash. No one makes a kit for it. Look at the top row of buttons, plus she explains it's a platinum with nav and sony in the article.

I did ask her. No response, which I sort of expected. I thought I'd ask here, too, in case someone here has replaced their factory nav with an aftermarket hu and maestro.
Yes I know that no one makes a kit. It looks like they adapted a basic install kit to fit behind the navigation opening??
Old 04-16-2018, 11:18 AM
Dazed and Confused

That's what I'm thinking, too. It looks like the factory nav was really close to 2 din to begin with. Maybe no one had really tried it up to this point due to the lack of integration until Maestro came along?

If I can do this, it would at least mean I could just use a MiniDSP for my crossovers instead of having to have something take everything from speaker to line level AND have crossovers. Haha!

Brandon
Old 04-17-2018, 04:47 PM
Dazed and Confused

Annie replied to my email and gave me some great info. She said she didn't mind if I posted it here, so here you go:

Hi Brandon,
It takes a bit of finessing but its doable. No kit for the car so you need a mounting bracket you can adapt to like a metra 95-5812, a Kenwood radio that is idatalink maestro RR compatible and use Kenwoods over sized trim ring to fill in the gap between stock trim and new stereo.

May need to dremmel out or air saw out some plastic in the way.

The maestro retains the stock amp and climate controls. You need their web link programmer for that, works on windows only. reverse camera needed to cut and splice, buy a vehicle wire diagram from all data DIY for help identifying.

New post on CarPlay head units, everything but Sony is compatible so lots to choose from. I like a Kenwood because they typically come a with a thin oversized plastic trim ring which is handy for the install plus they sound good and work well with Maestro.

http://www.carstereochick.com/2018/0...alpine-review/

You don’t lose anything, camera wiring might be only tricky part for a do it yourselfer have to cut and splice bare wires from truck to a standard video cable. Good luck!

Annie

fcancer, maybe that'll help you, too.

Brandon
The following users liked this post:
Wyo11Scab (04-23-2018)

Quick Reply: 2012 SCREW Plat wNav head unit replacement?