Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Still looking

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still looking

Hi,

I've been leasing a Camry for a number of years and it's due back or roll it into a purchase in June so I've decided to turn it in and pay cash for a 2005-2007 F150. I'm looking for a Super Cab as opposed to the Super Crew because around here all I see is a 5 1/2' bed with the Super Crew. It's usually one passenger and lots of camping gear and bicycles so the bed length is important. At some point, I might be pulling a popup camper. In my price range, I'm looking at trucks around 130k miles. Obviously, any sellers' goal is to sell their truck and my goal is not to buy a vehicle that is going to spend all of its time in the shop so we're basically on opposing teams, lol.

I can do some repairs (parts replacement that takes less than a day), but it will be my daily driver and I'm a teacher which means no life until June so it needs to be dependable. What should I look for and what questions should I ask the seller?

Thanks!

Marie
Old 03-06-2018, 08:55 AM

Received 1,317 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here. Good luck on your search.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2018, 12:01 PM
Army Signals retired

Received 221 Likes on 191 Posts

Welcome to the site Marie. And thanks for being a teacher, I don't know how you do it now a days. I know being a student in the 70's and 80's, we didn't 'challenge' our teachers like they do now...hahaha.....good on you!
I have 2007 SCrew with the short box and I love this truck, hopefully you will feel the same with yours.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by marier4him
Hi,

I've been leasing a Camry for a number of years and it's due back or roll it into a purchase in June so I've decided to turn it in and pay cash for a 2005-2007 F150. I'm looking for a Super Cab as opposed to the Super Crew because around here all I see is a 5 1/2' bed with the Super Crew. It's usually one passenger and lots of camping gear and bicycles so the bed length is important. At some point, I might be pulling a popup camper. In my price range, I'm looking at trucks around 130k miles. Obviously, any sellers' goal is to sell their truck and my goal is not to buy a vehicle that is going to spend all of its time in the shop so we're basically on opposing teams, lol.

I can do some repairs (parts replacement that takes less than a day), but it will be my daily driver and I'm a teacher which means no life until June so it needs to be dependable. What should I look for and what questions should I ask the seller?

Thanks!

Marie
first off welcome to the site. Its hard to find a Crew Cab with a 6ft bed. Depending on what kind of motor you're getting. If it's the 5.4, ask the seller when was the last time the spark plugs were changed. If they have been replaced pull the trigger. If they can't give you an answer, then walk. From 04-07, the 5.4 3 valve engines originally came with a 2 piece plug and after a while before 100 or after. If they're original they will become seized in the plug and they will break. A shop will charge you a good amount for replacing them because of the labor and the trouble of taking the broken plug out with a special tool and the extra time to do it. Also ask if the cam phasers and timing chain have been replaced. They will make a dieseling sound when they're bad. You will know. The best engine to get from the generation is the 4.6 2 valve engine and that motor is trouble free eventhough it won't put out as much power but it is reliable. Those would be my only concerns if I was a potential buyer. Other than than those issues the rest of the truck is trouble free besides normal weat and tear. I hope this help you in your purchasing decision.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,459 Posts

Welcome to the forum !
Share a pic of the truck when you find it.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:15 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,086 Likes on 879 Posts

Welcome to the F-150 forum! Glad to have you join us.

Have any fun performance modifications planned for the truck once you get it?

Quick Reply: Still looking