Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

newbie here

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post newbie here

im new to the website of course, but not to the automotive world...im chris, from edwardsville, ill i was given a truck...i was on craigslist one day and came across an add that some lady's grandfather had died and he had owned a farm and it had a post about this truck that said first come gets it, so i called her and she said someone was coming to look at it and whatnot, but i ended up driving out there just in case and as i was pulling up this other guy was leaving and said "if your here about the truck dont bother...its a piece of ****" but what did i care i havent even seen the thing yet. so i went and talked to the lady and she went inside got the title handed it over to me and said "if you want it, take it, its yours" and im thinking...this is way too dame good to be true, but she said she didnt know anything about it and didnt want to deal with it and wait around for it, so she told me to take it.(the girlfreind hates this thing with a passion and tell me everyday to get rid of the dame thing, but i cant i fell in love with it, running or not, i love it, its my baby ) well i went to go take a look at it, and in all honestly it wasnt actually that bad, i mean theres rips in the seats, the drivers side window was down, the hood was dented on the pass side, the cab corners were rusted completely through, both front fenders had rust, the real wheel wells were pretty much rusted gone, it was sitting on all four flats...but it also had 4 wheels from a newer f150 and also has 4 31'' tires in the bed a little over half worn down, and a set of heads in the back seat...so i popped the hood and it was complete besides the battery, so i went to the nearest walmart, picked up a battery, hooked it up and turn the key, and to my amazement...it started!!!but you could plainly tell that it had a massive air leak coming from somewhere, but i was more worried about getting it home then nething, so i put the truck in neutral, hooked it up to a winch on the flatbed, and pulled it up onto the trailer and brought it home and here its been sitting for about 2 months now. this past week, i found a howto on how to change the tires by yourself, which wasnt actually that hard at all, hardest part was getting the old tires off the rim, went and bought some bead sealer at autozone, drove to flying j with the new tires on the rims already of course, put bead sealer around the tire and use the air compressor(the only one around here with enough pressure to re-bead the tire back on the rim) and poof the tire gets back on the rim securley and for 5 days so far have all held air at 50psi. now on the rest of it maybe you guys could help me a little bit...im pulling the motor and having it rebuilt with gt40 heads...i was wondering if i could maybe put another tranny from either an f-250 or f-350thats an automatic (just want something a little more tougher and studier)i know what i want and im just curious if i can do that...heres what i plan on doing to it by july, if theres anything you could maybe help me with along the way please let me know your thoughts or something that maybe you would do to yours or have already done to yours...

6" lift
35x12.50x15 tires
15x10 wagon wheels
rebuilt 302 w/gt40 heads
new fenders, doors, hood, bedsides, and radiator support (one in truck is severly rusted)
bushings
brakes, calipers,rotors
fuel lines, brake lines
hoses
interior

i really appreciate anyone and everyone who takes the time to read this and possibly help me out or give me ideas or just speak your mind, i really do appreciate.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:35 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Welcome to the site lots og good info here..... can you give a few more specs on the truck.. what year and stuff
Old 01-15-2010, 04:31 AM

1989 ford f 150 xlt lariat extended cab
302 fuel injected
4x4
everything stock as far as i know
Old 01-15-2010, 04:40 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

these are damn good trucks ive owned a few of these
Old 01-15-2010, 09:10 AM
big cube 426

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck and welcome.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome
Sounds like you got a project. I love projects. Keeps me out of trouble ! Lol!
You can't beat a free one though. Should be a nice truck when its done.
Good luck and post picts if and when you can.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by topher87
1989 ford f 150 xlt lariat extended cab
302 fuel injected
4x4
everything stock as far as i know
Sweet another 89 XLT Lariat...welcome..here are a couple pics of mine..mine is also a project!
Attached Images   

Trending Topics

Old 01-15-2010, 02:03 PM

Old 01-21-2010, 06:29 PM
December 2009 TOTM!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome!

Free truck? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Quick Reply: newbie here