Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New to the site. 06 XTL 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New to the site. 06 XTL 5.4

Hey there, figured I'd make an actual introduction before I go asking questions and such. Have an 06 5.4L 4x4 blah blah blah...

Truck was great for the first few months... Now it doesn't seem to wanna run right and makes more weird noises than any vehicle I've ever owned or worked on. (not sure if I should go ahead about all that here or in a different section)

Here's a really low quality picture of it.

Forgot to mention, from Detroit area, Michigan

Last edited by projekt-H; 06-28-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:08 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Wierd noise?? Explain
Old 06-28-2014, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by tritonbullet
Wierd noise?? Explain
Well, the best of them is when some times at idle, or very very low speed (idle creep) it will randomly start misfiring and knocking. That's a real pleasant one. Some times it likes to just stall out for no reason at a stop light or in parking lots. I let a friend of mine use it when he was moving, to pull a car on a trailer and apparently as soon as he hooked the trailer to it either from the extra load on it, or just by chance it happened then it also started knocking.

Only video I have, from the first time it started doing it, I'll try to get a better one next time.

I haven't been able to really pinpoint this one but just when driving some times it sounds like something rattling around inside the engine. Doesnt hardly do it at idle, just typical injector pulse and acceptable lifter noise. I'm trying to think of how to accurately describe it but I'm kinda failing there. I think later today I'll shove my gopro in a few places and try to get some video.

I put new plugs in last weekend, and that helped to smooth out it's natural idle, but didn't help with any of the other issues. Has 123,470 miles, oil was just changed with motorcraft 5w-20 and oem filter less than 1500 miles ago.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:55 PM

About to replace the VCT solenoids. Will try to get before and after video for sound difference.

*EDIT: Tomorrow I will. Have to get a T27 bit first.... ford...

Last edited by projekt-H; 07-01-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:08 PM
1A Auto Parts

Received 473 Likes on 453 Posts

Welcome to the site.
Tony

Quick Reply: New to the site. 06 XTL 5.4