Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Member from SF Bay area

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member from SF Bay area

Following the intro email directions, I am Scott. I've owned 4 or 5 F150's since the mid 80's. I just bought an old 91 F150XLT Supercab 4x4 to fix up... may have bit off more than I can chew, but it will be fun.
Here is a list of issues that I know of;
Old number 1. The previous owner had the master cylinder changed out and some of the brake lines. The brakes were still squishy and the previous owner probably lied but said that the guy that changed it out, wanted more money to bleed them correctly??? I bled the brakes but still had issues. Bled the RABS module and they are much much better... I think. Now I cannot test them because of 2.

NEW NUMBER 1, old 2. Took it out for about a 5 to 10 mile ride yesterday to see if the previous brake bleed had helped... it didn't but as I was heading back, at a stoplight, during the downshift, there was a horrible grinding noise for about 20 to 30 seconds then it went away. It sounded like tranny, but I didn't notice any change. I know I need to change out ATF and filter. The ATF is pretty bad. I also need to change the oil, but I am fixing and doing one thing and moving on to the next. Right now, this item has just moved to the number one position. As I bled the RABS this morning and in my garage, the pedal felt normal, I decided to take it around block. I put it into reverse but it didn't move. there was a change in rpms and it clinked, but it didn't start easing back as I let off the brake. I gave it a little more gas and the tires chirped but it wouldn't roll any more on it's own. It went into D and I eased it back to it's very tight spot between the garage door and wall. The ATF was low and it appears to have an ATF leak, but even after topping off the Atf level, it still did the same. I hate working on trannys... I usually get someone else to. This time, I think I will try to screw it up myself for fun.

3. The ignition actuator rod is broke and I think the ignition switch is bad. I had to replace the starter relay solenoid and it didn't fire. I had a remote trigger and rigged it up for now, but I will need to pull the steering wheel and change it out.

4. The seats need to go. Ratty bucket seats with no middle console and no back jump seat. My phone just slides on the floor right now.

5. Paint and tailgate. The body is in pretty good shape but the hood is for crap and the tailgate is pretty done in.

6. Driver side window motor and frame need replaced.

7. Changed out ignition key cylinder. The last one was broken.

8. I need to start with the new 1 and I'm sure I will find another 8... or change atf and oil.

Any other thoughts on important to do's would be welcome.

Quick Reply: New Member from SF Bay area