Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Member

Hello to all. currently I am looking into purchasing a 97-2002 F150, and I am just looking for help in doing my research. I have questions as far as known issues for those years, how mileage affects these trucks, and what king of issues that might bring the cost down for these trucks would be something that I could address myself, or inexpensively. If anyone who reads this wants to help me out, or even knows of a good truck for sale in their area, I appreciate all feedback. I look forward to reading the discussions on here, and perhaps, after I've got some experience under my belt with these vehicles, I'll be able to help someone out on here.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:31 PM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by crackerbear
Hello to all. currently I am looking into purchasing a 97-2002 F150, and I am just looking for help in doing my research. I have questions as far as known issues for those years, how mileage affects these trucks, and what king of issues that might bring the cost down for these trucks would be something that I could address myself, or inexpensively. If anyone who reads this wants to help me out, or even knows of a good truck for sale in their area, I appreciate all feedback. I look forward to reading the discussions on here, and perhaps, after I've got some experience under my belt with these vehicles, I'll be able to help someone out on here.

welcome to the forum man...
i'm a mopar guy myself, but i can show you a few things about a ford. probably things that you haven't considered, but was pretty high up on my priority list when i bought a truck.

first link is of a 2001 f150.

second link is of a 2004 f150

third link is of a 2009-10 f150 (side cab impact)

the fourth link is of a 2011 f150

just keep in mind, while (for example) the last vid is of a 2011 truck, you could say that it's pretty damn close to the 2009-10 trucks also. as well as the first vid is of a 2001 truck, you could say (or consider) that the safety"ness" of a 1997 truck would be "the same as or worse than" the 2001 truck. if you understand what i'm saying.

i know you're not looking for a newer truck, but i just wanted to show you something to consider for yourself, and possibly any passengers (kids or pets too) that you may have with you.

hope this helps you out a bit man.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1._q8beVTD78E

Last edited by rigrat2011; 09-06-2012 at 01:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
crackerbear (09-10-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 04:54 PM
1A Auto Parts

Received 473 Likes on 453 Posts

welcome to the site
Old 09-10-2012, 11:44 PM

Rigrat, thanks for the links to the vid's. Definitely an eye opener. I'm afraid I have a specific amount to spend, and I see more 97-03's on the road, (plus my company vehicle is a 97-which is why I decided on an F150), so as of right now, that is where I am having to concentrate my search. I have looked and was wondering if there is a classified section on this forum where vehicles and other things might be offered up for sale? Life was so much simpler when the Autotrader was on paper and you could spend an afternoon driving around looking for deals, rather than getting hooked on checking every single auto classifieds site on the internet, just to make sure that one truck doesn't get away. My neck hurts from doing this online. If anyone is from NC,I'm in Monroe-about 30 minutes east of Charlotte, and would appreciate any leads on a good 97 up screw or 4 door truck for about $7k or less. I got my check, now I just have to spend it.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:01 AM
Ex Badge Bunny

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Welcome! Rigrat posted a very important video... that particular body style is very popular, but had the worst crash ratings of those years. The key is to take your time in looking for a vehicle. I'm almost wondering if you can get an 04 for around $7k...
Here are the links to the classified truck ads on this site

https://www.f150forum.com/f62/
https://www.f150forum.com/f60/
The following users liked this post:
crackerbear (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 08:02 AM

Thank you Raider for the links. I checked out the links.
I would love to have an '04, but around here the only ones available in my price range are either over 200K in miles or are wrecked/repaired. I really don't want to take a chance on a vehicle that has had significant damage, because I don't have a mechanic buddy to check out the repairs. If I was able to verify that the repairs were done correctly, it wouldn't be a problem, as I intend to keep the truck for quite a while. Since I am not experienced in doing my own work, I am comfortable with a truck with 100 to 150k miles on it, but anything over 200k definitely concerns me. I am trying to take my time to find the right truck for my money, and my family.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:52 AM

Received 94 Likes on 94 Posts

Welcome to the forum