Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!

My '97 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My '97 will not start

i own a '97 F-150 w/4.6L. I went to start it the other day and for some reason it will not start. The first time i tried to start it i heard a noise that i can only describe as something either falling or locking up. Now when i try to turn it over all i hear is a click when i turn the key and click when i release the key. I had the starter check and it was good. I replaced the ignition solenoid and still nothing. The battery seems to be good. My gauge stays the same when im trying to start the truck. Not being mechanically inclined and not having the money to put it in the shop nor knowing who to trust has me at a lost on what to do next. Does anybody have any suggestions.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:05 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Start to look at the fuses. The manual, if you have it, should say which fuse does what. If you do not have the book just start to check them all. I also would have the battery checked, because this is always the first thing I look at when having starting problems.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another situation i have is the fact that since this has happened i cant manually make the engine turn over by using a socket on the bolt of the pulley on the front of the engine. I really appreciate the advice and truly appologize for not knowing the terms for these parts to better explain what exactly it is that i did. Thanks once again for the advice
Old 11-17-2009, 04:34 AM
November 2009 TOTM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

welcome to the site
Old 11-17-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by lockwood
another situation i have is the fact that since this has happened i cant manually make the engine turn over by using a socket on the bolt of the pulley on the front of the engine. I really appreciate the advice and truly appologize for not knowing the terms for these parts to better explain what exactly it is that i did. Thanks once again for the advice
This sounds very bad. It sounds as if the engine is gone. Did the engine run out of oil? It seems like either the oil is gone or the oil pump stopped working and the engine is frozen. Was the engine very noise for a few days prior to it not starting? All I know is that when this happened to me, about 17 years ago, I needed a new engine. I hope this is not your problem.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:21 PM
December 2009 TOTM!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

^ Interesting..

Well if you hear click click click... try to jump start it. Usually the battery but what your explaining doesn't sound to good.

Quick Reply: My '97 will not start