Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: WHAT TO DO
CONTACT OIL CHANGE SHOP
17.86%
REBUILD
39.29%
SELL
17.86%
YOURE SOL
42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Im not desperate, but guys i am desperate. Need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Im not desperate, but guys i am desperate. Need help!!!

Hey guys, my name is camron and i am from the phx, az area.

In february i threw a rod in the 7th cylinder of my babied f-150 (oil was changed just a month prior, no oil leaks, did not think to check oil level, but once engine was toast shop said it was 3 quarts low on oil)

i have several questions so i will put them in bullet form:

1) the shop that changed my oil in tucson, az is called jack furrier tire & auto care - 370 w grant road. Tucson az 85705.
- i brought it in after rod knock happened and they said the engine was toast. They were the ones that changed the oil just one month prior to this happening as well.
- my question for this is should they be held accountable for the engine being 3 quarts low on oil and them telling me that there was no oil leak? They seemed to want nothing to do with the truck after seeing the engine problems which makes me a bit skeptical, but if they had no control of something like this happening i want to be fair - what do you guys think??

2) right now i am trying to sell the truck as is with the thrown rod. I have had little luck but wanted to know what you guys think i should do. If i fixed the truck i would continue driving it for as long as i possibly could - but other stuff happens so i do not want to fix this then have other problems soon after - truck has 129,xxx miles, anyone had any major problems around this mileage that i should check into before rebuilding the engine? Transmission issues? Differential? Interior stuff falling apart? I want to know it all.

3) anyone know of a very reliable, trusted and accountable shop in phoenix, az area? If i rebuild this i want to make sure it is being done by a wizard and not some corner cutter. I do not know many shops in town and usually, do maintainance through ford but think this is a job for a true engine shop. Any recommendations are appreciated!

If you guys have questions, concerns or any information please please please let me know - i am desperate at this point and the truck is just sitting getting paid for while i cant do anything with it. Please let me know, i am even putting my number in here in hopes that people can reach out. 6zero2-363-9zero39
Old 06-24-2019, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,145 Likes on 2,842 Posts

how long between the oil change and the engine giving birth?
Old 06-25-2019, 07:53 AM

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Given a month between the oil change and the failure, i am not sure you have a leg to stand on. This is not what you want to hear, but from the shops point of view, there was too much time between the change and the failure, so there is no way to prove how it happened. You leave the shop and it throws a rod in the parking lot on the way out, sure, maybe youve got something. If the oil was that low and was like that for a whole month, there should have been indications such as a low oil pressure warning (very noticeable) or the oil pressure gauge reading low (less noticeable). That is the point of the gauge and the warning light/message, to save the engine when it is run out of oil. If you never saw these, then the engine was telling you it was getting the minimum required oil pressure. Even a small starvation would trigger the message.

Also, it is hard to quantify oil level if there is a hole in the side of the block where it could have exited.
The following 2 users liked this post by AHenry014:
77Ranger460 (06-25-2019), bassJAM (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 10:26 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

You have a truck with 129 miles. It was waiting to happen sooner or later and just happened to be around oil change time. Fix it and sell and eat some loss, or drive it until it totally dies and get your monies worth.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steelhead 6.2
You have a truck with 129 miles. It was waiting to happen sooner or later and just happened to be around oil change time. Fix it and sell and eat some loss, or drive it until it totally dies and get your monies worth.
I dont expect any truck (or car for that matter) to throw a rod at 129k. Especially if it has been serviced...now we dont know the whole service history, but your comment makes it sound like all engines are set to explode around 125k.
The following 4 users liked this post by Travis Stoner:
M0RRIS (06-26-2019), Spiky (06-25-2019), tareed94 (06-25-2019), UnkLeRaRa (06-27-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by AHenry014
Given a month between the oil change and the failure, i am not sure you have a leg to stand on. This is not what you want to hear, but from the shops point of view, there was too much time between the change and the failure, so there is no way to prove how it happened. You leave the shop and it throws a rod in the parking lot on the way out, sure, maybe youve got something. If the oil was that low and was like that for a whole month, there should have been indications such as a low oil pressure warning (very noticeable) or the oil pressure gauge reading low (less noticeable). That is the point of the gauge and the warning light/message, to save the engine when it is run out of oil. If you never saw these, then the engine was telling you it was getting the minimum required oil pressure. Even a small starvation would trigger the message.

Also, it is hard to quantify oil level if there is a hole in the side of the block where it could have exited.
The rod did not come out of the block, it just has real bad rod knock. Still runs (Obviously have not been driving it) - also there was a recall on these trucks shifting into 1st gear at any speed from Ford. I brought it up to service and they said that was impossible to have caused this. About a week before this happened the truck did do this while I was going about 70. Skipped rear wheels on the highway and was scary, but nothing seemed to have happened after... thoughts?
Old 06-25-2019, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
how long between the oil change and the engine giving birth?
About a month. I have the service records from the oil change previously done. The engine didnt give birth either. Nothing flew through the engine or anything, it didnt leak oil when it happened, etc. It just has real bad rod knock.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:30 PM

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by hugh_hef150
About a month. I have the service records from the oil change previously done. The engine didnt give birth either. Nothing flew through the engine or anything, it didnt leak oil when it happened, etc. It just has real bad rod knock.
How many miles from oil change to the knock?? If it's a rarely driven truck I get the time frame. Dont those motors hold 8 quarts??
Seems legit it would take a while to explode if it still had 5 quarts
The following users liked this post:
Rustell (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 03:31 PM

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis Stoner
I dont expect any truck (or car for that matter) to throw a rod at 129k. Especially if it has been serviced...now we dont know the whole service history, but your comment makes it sound like all engines are set to explode around 125k.
Seriously 250k, is my standard of expectation.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:32 PM

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

I'll tell you the same thing I tell my kids, check your oil at least once a week. It only takes a couple minutes and could keep you from throwing a rod. IMO, the responsible lies on tour shoulders not theirs. I know it's not what you want to hear but it's reality.
The following users liked this post:
jerparker1 (06-27-2019)

Quick Reply: Im not desperate, but guys i am desperate. Need help!!!