Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hello from Western MA

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 01:28 PM

Received 380 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Hello from Western MA

Hi All,

Just joined since I'm looking into buying an F150 in the spring.

Currently, I have a 2011 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport. It's getting up there in mileage and I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't buy another Tacoma. The newer generation lost some things that I liked about mine, like how low in the rev range the torque is on the 4.0. Plus, I can get a full size for the same price as a mid size at this point. I was between a Tundra and an F-150, but once I realized MSRP means nothing on a Ford I'm leaning more towards that. I like that the Tundra is so tried and true with the 5.7, Aisin Transmission, and I like the cab style better. But I really like how ahead of its time the F150 is, and out of the big three I've always liked Ford the best. I question GM's reliability even post-bailout and it seems the Ram 1500s have less capability (payload anyway) than my Tacoma does.

My truck is primarily a daily driver, but I do use it to carry materials for home improvement projects, and I'll tow a few times a year (a vehicle, pellets, scrap metal, etc.). Realistically, I could do without a truck 95% of the time (as most truck owners could, I suppose), but the other 5% I couldn't imagine being without it. I'm leaning towards a SuperCab 4x4 XLT, 302A, FX4, Sport Appearance truck. I'm torn between the 3.5 and the 5.0. I thought about a 2.7, but the tow rating on those is a little lower than I'd like and ideally I'd like the rating to be a few thousand higher than what I think I'd realistically tow. MSRP looks to be $47k or so on what I want, but it seems folks would actually pay about $10k less than that in the end. I was going to go look at a '17 with the specs I wanted, but it disappeared before I could and the others aren't really what I want. I'm leaning toward spring because at that point I could have enough cash so I'd have a very minimal loan on it.

Does time of year significantly influence what I'd pay? If I ordered one built to my exact specs, would that influence price more than picking one off the lot? Any feedback on the 5.0 vs the 3.5? I love the idea of the 3.5--I've driven some of the older ones, but the 5.0 sounds like it would just be more bulletproof to me.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:05 AM
Veteran, retired Navy..

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
There are lots of sales @ the end of the model year, the down side is maybe you won't find exactly what you want.
Ordering a truck limits you to any program you qualify for & offers @ order time. Up side is you get exactly whet you want.
I have ordered my last 3 vehicles, delivery time varies, 47, 112, & 79 days.