Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finally free of problematic '15 Sierra. New ride - '17 F150 XLT w/3.5L EB!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 03:43 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Finally free of problematic '15 Sierra. New ride - '17 F150 XLT w/3.5L EB!

2 years ago I was driving a full-size sedan. I really wanted a truck, but figured I would wait a few years before pulling the trigger.
But, then I was rear-ended by a distracted driver on my way to work. Traffic came to a dead stop, but the '13 Silverado approaching at 55mph didn't react in time and destroyed my car.

So it was time to pick out a truck. I had a budget of $35k. I wanted the F-150, but couldn't get the exact package for my price. I ended up settling for a '15 Sierra, and actually really liked it. I got a good deal because it was the dealers loaner truck and had 3k miles on it.

Then the issues started popping up.

1) The NEXT DAY I decided to get underneath it, hoping to see a clean looking under-body that I would expect for a new truck. NOPE. The frame coating was peeling off in big chunks. I couldn't believe it. And where it was peeling off, there was surface rust.
Pictures if interest: Rust?! - Album on Imgur
The dealer had the truck for 5 days retreating the frame. I got it back and it was clear they half-assed it. There were spots that they clearly just coated over the rust. i was so pissed off.

2) Horrible transmission programming. I didn't notice this on my test drive, nor would I think to expect this. But the transmission would constantly hunt for gears. Sometimes after slowing, and then re-accelerating it, would hesitate then slam into gear making a loud clunk. When accelerating it sometimes shift from 1-3, completely skipping 2. That was not normal behavior. It was really bad. I called the service department. They said it's normal for these 6 speeds. I ended up resolving a majority of it with a custom tune.

3) Headlights. Who would think to check the headlights on a brand new truck? I mean, surely the headlights would be great! Well I didn't realize until after a month, but the headlights were so bad I couldn't drive safely on rural roads. It was worse than any vehicle I've owned, even an old 94' Grand am. Picture: https://i.imgur.com/QGhfrf4.png

The list goes on... but these are the main ones that made me want to get rid of it.

So! Now to the good part. This past Wednesday I got to buy a new F-150!

2017 XLT Sport SCREW, FX4, 3.5L EB, 302A with moonroof. I absolutely LOVE this truck.

This is after my first road trip. Took it down to a fly fishing spot with a buddy. The ride was phenomenal. Acceleration was effortless. The interior is way better than I expected. I love the moonroof. Ford is leaps and bounds ahead of GM.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:49 AM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Welcome to the F-150 forum, glad to have you join!
The following users liked this post:
haus_F-150 (02-08-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris is the EXACT truck I'm searching for. Great minds...👍🏻

Im in CA so, I know pricing is different but, would you mind sharing cost before taxes? Or, otd cost below msrp?

Thanks!QUOTE=haus_F-150;5173073]2 years ago I was driving a full-size sedan. I really wanted a truck, but figured I would wait a few years before pulling the trigger.
But, then I was rear-ended by a distracted driver on my way to work. Traffic came to a dead stop, but the '13 Silverado approaching at 55mph didn't react in time and destroyed my car.

So it was time to pick out a truck. I had a budget of $35k. I wanted the F-150, but couldn't get the exact package for my price. I ended up settling for a '15 Sierra, and actually really liked it. I got a good deal because it was the dealers loaner truck and had 3k miles on it.

Then the issues started popping up.

1) The NEXT DAY I decided to get underneath it, hoping to see a clean looking under-body that I would expect for a new truck. NOPE. The frame coating was peeling off in big chunks. I couldn't believe it. And where it was peeling off, there was surface rust.
Pictures if interest: Rust?! - Album on Imgur
The dealer had the truck for 5 days retreating the frame. I got it back and it was clear they half-assed it. There were spots that they clearly just coated over the rust. i was so pissed off.

2) Horrible transmission programming. I didn't notice this on my test drive, nor would I think to expect this. But the transmission would constantly hunt for gears. Sometimes after slowing, and then re-accelerating it, would hesitate then slam into gear making a loud clunk. When accelerating it sometimes shift from 1-3, completely skipping 2. That was not normal behavior. It was really bad. I called the service department. They said it's normal for these 6 speeds. I ended up resolving a majority of it with a custom tune.

3) Headlights. Who would think to check the headlights on a brand new truck? I mean, surely the headlights would be great! Well I didn't realize until after a month, but the headlights were so bad I couldn't drive safely on rural roads. It was worse than any vehicle I've owned, even an old 94' Grand am. Picture: https://i.imgur.com/QGhfrf4.png

The list goes on... but these are the main ones that made me want to get rid of it.

So! Now to the good part. This past Wednesday I got to buy a new F-150!

2017 XLT Sport SCREW, FX4, 3.5L EB, 302A with moonroof. I absolutely LOVE this truck.

This is after my first road trip. Took it down to a fly fishing spot with a buddy. The ride was phenomenal. Acceleration was effortless. The interior is way better than I expected. I love the moonroof. Ford is leaps and bounds ahead of GM.

[/QUOTE]
Old 02-23-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Juddly450
Chris is the EXACT truck I'm searching for. Great minds...����

Im in CA so, I know pricing is different but, would you mind sharing cost before taxes? Or, otd cost below msrp?

Thanks!
I paid $42,700 for mine on 02/01. That's before Tax, Title, License. Dealer listed MSRP as $53,800, which you see on window sticker (before trim discounts).

Window sticker: http://www.windowsticker.forddirect....EW1EG1HFA46722

Last edited by haus_F-150; 02-23-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 325 Likes on 240 Posts

It's always been my understanding that "dealer loaner" or "show vehicle" sometimes means its a returned lemon...

In any case, your new truck is gorgeous!
The following users liked this post:
haus_F-150 (02-24-2017)