Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Staining on coated aluminum wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 07:55 AM

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Staining on coated aluminum wheels

Hey, guys. I was wondering if you have any tips on how to remove staining on the factory clearcoated aluminum wheels on my '13 Limited. The brake dust seems to be turning the wheels a light brown/gold color. I've washed the wheels a few times, but it wasn't until the last time that I noticed they were starting to stain. I used the mild Mequires wheel cleaner, and that got everything but the stains off the wheel. I've read about people using vinegar, and I was thinking about giving it a try, since it's a little more acidic than the wheel cleaner I used, but less acidic than other wheel cleaners. Just wanted to make sure it was safe before I tried it.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

subscribed

I have a 2008 Expedition with the chrome clad wheels and they are basically ruined. The brake dust baked on to the point NOTHING that I've come across will remove it. I hope the same isn't in the future for the wheels on my SuperCrew
Old 04-20-2013, 12:17 AM
Paint Polishing Guru

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

what is the meguiars wheel cleaner called? Some of their cleaners have strong acids, and should not be used with your wheels.

Cheers,
GREg
Old 04-30-2013, 09:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

post a pic of your wheels if you can...it will help, but i tend to agree with reflections detail...the staining you are seeing could be caused by the cleaner.

they might need a polish to remove the staining...then id opti coat them.

Quick Reply: Staining on coated aluminum wheels