Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Salt-Away

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 02:04 PM

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Salt-Away

My '13 Limited just arrived at the dealer, and the truck is going to spend this winter and probably next winter in Ohio, while I'm working on a project up here. I'm assuming there will be a fair amount of salt on the roads (much more than back home in South Carolina), so I want to make sure I keep the 22" chrome wheels from rusting. I'm not going to buy another set of wheels to put on the truck for the winter, although I know that's the best option. I don't want to spend the money on them and don't have a place to store the stock wheels either at my house or the rental I have in Ohio. So I'm looking for something that I can spray on the wheels and hose off after driving on roads with salt on them. That's when I came across the Salt-Away website. Has anyone used this on their chrome? How did you like it? I see a lot of good reviews from people with boats who use the product after taking their boat in the ocean. Is there another product I should consider? Would a quick spray of Simple Green and a rinsing get the salt off as well? Again, not looking to put different wheels on the truck during the winter, just looking to protect the stock wheels as best as I can. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

I would just give them a few good coats of wax. It has kept mine looking good.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to live in Michigan, the road commission loves salt up here. A good wax and spraying them off should do the trick for ya.

p.s. I've used Turtle wax chrome polish and that has worked wonders in my rims
http://www.turtlewax.com/product-detail.aspx?prodID=80
Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Meaner than ymeski56

Received 457 Likes on 331 Posts

Get em nice and clean then a coat or two of collinite 845 wax and you'll be good to go. Best thing to do as well would be to wash em off whenever you can to get all the road grime off
Old 11-12-2012, 10:36 PM

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, I was pleasantly surprised to see the wheels are polished aluminum, rather than chrome. The manual also says the wheels have a clear coat. So that should help with corrosion. I still plan to keep them as clean as possible, especially during the winter.

I'll try the wax idea.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default protecting wheels

I just bought a 2010 Plat. with thwe 20 inch wheels that are also cleared. The dealers crew sprayed them with the acid cleaner and let it dry on 2 of the wheels. just like putting on paint remover. It comes off nice but so does the clear. polishes out nice. When I can get some good weather I will use Adams chrome cleaner #1&2 on the bad sections and re-clear then Adams spray sealant and Americana wax.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Paint Polishing Guru

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

A good sealant will work, however it will come off when you use wheel cleaners to remove road grime and brake dust.

I would suggest you look into Opti coatings or 22PLE metal coating. These will last through all the harsh wheel cleaners much better, in many cases years. These also help release build up easier without the use of harsh cleaners, soap and water and stream of water in many cases.

Cheers,
GREG
Old 03-24-2013, 08:39 PM
MPD
Reds3012783

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Your best option is to put Opit Coat 2.0 on the wheels... its a permanent coating.

Keep the wheels looking good!