Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

RainX plusses and minuses

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 06:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RainX plusses and minuses

I have occasionally enjoyed the beading action of RainX, but I wonder if I am seeing things correctly in observing that slightly worn away RainX is worse than none at all. The semi-beading seems to leave water smearing on the windshield. Do you use it sometimes and enjoy it when its working, use it religiously, or stay away altogether?
Old 05-16-2024, 08:03 PM

Received 223 Likes on 198 Posts

Good experience here with RainX, both in the directly-applied solution as well as their washer fluid picked up at the time due to being the only offering rated to (-20degF) when all else in that store was just the summer-rated (+32degF) rating. Ain't into draining and changing washer fluid on a seasonal basis.

No smearing issues whatsoever, although do make it a habit to wipe the wiper blades monthly after a regular truck wash using window cleaner or vinegar - amazing the amount of yuck that comes off each time.

Biggest challenge experienced is paying attention in frog-strangling downpours, works fine towards giving a false sense of security where visibility is fine but driving starts getting loosey-goosey on the verge of full-on out-of-control hydroplaning.

Old 05-17-2024, 09:25 AM

Received 1,657 Likes on 930 Posts

Biggest minus: Rain-X is a PDMS polymer and does not chemically bond to the glass, which means it doesn't last very long. FAS polymers do chemically bond, so they last much, much longer. The latter don't shed water as well, but can last for years (with an annual refresh, which you can do yourself) versus just weeks with Rain-X.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:42 PM
SpareTire

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Direct application seasonally as temp allows. Longtime user. IMO 'worse' is a relative term: I agree partial beading IS worse than having full Rain-X, but at least some water is beading. If the rain does not bead the way one wants, then it is an indicator to reapply. My interpretation of @roadPilot 's excellent explanation is I would use Rain-X for maximum performance and an FAS version (example?) if I know I just wont get to reapply for awhile. When I 'take care' of MIL's windshield with Rain-X and car - she thinks I'm a Prince again . Be aware that some European vehicle owners have had problems with the washer fluid formula which I have never used. In addition to cleaning wipers as mentioned, also clean the inside of your windshield. Clear vision is important for every drive.
The following users liked this post:
roadPilot (05-22-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 11:12 AM

Received 609 Likes on 334 Posts

I just clay bar the glass and apply the sealant I use on the rest of the truck. Rainex is OK but the Meguiars M21 sealant I use lasts longer and is easier to apply and remove.
Old 05-24-2024, 06:14 AM

Received 913 Likes on 599 Posts

I only use ceramic coatings made for glass anymore. They last about 12 months on a daily driver. Much better than Rain X or other glass sealants I've used. If you want something stupidly quick and easy to apply, and don't mind applying it often, Technicians Choice 582 is an amazing ceramic based detailer spray with excellent hydrophobic properties.
The following users liked this post:
Rolling Thunder (05-25-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 08:06 AM

Received 202 Likes on 168 Posts

I use to use Rain-X all the time. But I think it's more important to keep the glass clean. I'm OCD about keeping my truck clean. So I pretty much am cleaning and wiping it down everyday. I use Stoners Invisible Glass to keep the inside/outside clean. Then when I decide it's time I'll Claybar the glass and give it a scrape down with a good sharp blade. Haven't had a problem with streaking or skipping for a long time. As stated it's important to keep the wiper blades clean. I don't think I've used Rain-X for a while now, but I do have the Rain-X washer fluid.
Old 05-25-2024, 08:08 AM

Received 609 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by eyecandynsx
I only use ceramic coatings made for glass anymore. They last about 12 months on a daily driver. Much better than Rain X or other glass sealants I've used. If you want something stupidly quick and easy to apply, and don't mind applying it often, Technicians Choice 582 is an amazing ceramic based detailer spray with excellent hydrophobic properties.
Ceramic glass coating is probably the way to go in the future and I think I'll try it next session.
Old 05-27-2024, 08:39 AM

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

For me Rainx leaves a very slightly cloudy appearance on dry glass, noticable when driving into sunrise or sunset. Not enough to not use it.

Quick Reply: RainX plusses and minuses