Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Nanoskin Autoscrub clay sponge

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 04:54 PM

Received 498 Likes on 341 Posts
Default Nanoskin Autoscrub clay sponge

I've not done much in way of detailing, but I decided with my 'new' truck that I wanted to work at keeping it looking nicer, so I've been learning how to do a bit more for the finish than simple wash-n-wax. One thing I decided to try was cleaning the paint with clay, and after reading up on it, I picked up an artificial clay sponge, the Nanoskin Autoscrub and some Glide detailing spray as a lubricant. I went with the synthetic sponge because the idea of dropping and ruining a clay bar worried me; the clay sponge is a bit more forgiving in that it can be dropped and rinsed.

Having never clayed a truck before, I wasn't really sure what to expect. I was really impressed. I can't believe how much better the finish looks. I did the plastic baggie technique, where you rub the finish with your hand in a plastic bag to feel the surface contaminants. The before-and-after comparison was unbelievable. I don't know how the synthetic clay mitts and sponges compare to actual clay bars, but clay sponge I used made an enormous difference. I probably spent a couple of hours on it, since it was my first time, and I'm really happy with the results. I then applied a coat of Collinite 845 and the truck looks better than new.

I'm wondering if anyone has used both real clay bars and the synthetic version, and how they compare. For an investment of less than $25 for the clay sponge and the lubricant, it made a huge difference.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:11 PM
Papermaker24

Received 347 Likes on 272 Posts

I have used both...now I have an Eagle One clay mitt..need to try it. I dont mind either one so far, a little more work with Mr. Clay id say.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:02 PM

Received 498 Likes on 341 Posts

The mitts look interesting, too. I imagine they'd be even harder to drop! (That would be a big plus in my book!)
Old 06-10-2020, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,269 Likes on 2,901 Posts

the clay mitts are awesome, if you drop them, all you do is hose them off and you are good to go

Quick Reply: Nanoskin Autoscrub clay sponge