Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

fender rust spot

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fender rust spot

Washing the truck the other day and noticed two small (less than 1/4") nicks on front fender; probably from stone chips. Well, the one rusted and so doing some research the most resonable thing sounded like grinding away the rust; first with a 150 grit grinder and then a metal grinder before applying primer and paint.

Anyone have any experience with such issues, and is this the best way to go? Do I need to used both of these grinders?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 589 Posts

Acutally depending on the age and severity of the spot, I would spray WD40 on it and let that sit for a few minutes. If it is just small surface rust, the penetrant in the WD40 will eat away the rust and you can wipe it off. May take a few tries.

Also, assuming this works for you- you can buy a "paint pen" that has primer and filler in it so you wont have to sand and spray for two little spots. I have some that I can take a pic of and show you. I got it at Wally-World.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have no experience sanding or grinding away at a vehicle I seriously wouldn't recommend using your own as a test case. Take it to a body shop and ask them what they would do to treat it and follow their advice and have them do it. Make cost more in the end, but you'll be kicking yourself forever if you go trying to do something you have no experience in and end up making things worse then what you started with.

Quick Reply: fender rust spot