Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Claybar

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Claybar

Hey everyone, I would like to claybar my truck. Never done it before and I need to know what the best kit is for the money. I know all of y'all detail a lot. So that being said, which kit to buy and aggressiveness? Also, will it remove spots on windows? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:57 AM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

its for the paint, not the windows. A meguirs kit will do just fine, follow the directions on the box and it will work.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:02 AM

oh, i was just wondering about the windows thing. I know people who said it works. Thanks man.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:31 AM

I used the meguiars kit also, It comes with 2 clay bars like soap bars, quik detailer which is like a lubricant for the clay bar to slide on and a microfiber cloth to wipe it off, it took me about 15-20 min to do just 1 side of my truck bed 6.5' to get it nice and smooth, well i havent had a chance to finish yet but i hope to soon it reccomends that right after you claybar than you wax so its probably a good days project..
Old 03-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Whenever I do a full detail on my truck (which includes claybar) I spend anywhere from 8 to 10 hours. The Meguirs kit mentioned earlier will be fine. Your paint should be nice a glassy smooth after application, if not then go over the area again. Some people have said a claybar on the windows removes spots, but I haven't tried it. I found that the wax I use (Megs #26) works at reducing them, but not removing them 100%. Maybe more than 1 application would work better, may have to try 2 or 3 passes next time I detail the truck.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:06 PM

just finished detailing.....it didnt take all of the water spots off the truck though...next time ill make more time to do it and clay it more. thanks for yalls input
Old 03-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Magma Man

Default window spots

[. Some people have said a claybar on the windows removes spots, but I haven't tried it. I found that the wax I use (Megs #26) works at reducing them, but not removing them 100%. Maybe more than 1 application would work better, may have to try 2 or 3 passes next time I detail the truck.[/quote]

I use Maguires wax and after about 1 appl. on the windows, on and off by hand, the i do 1 more appl. on by hand and off by buffer. Spots gone. The use rain-x of similar product to keep them clean.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what I heard too, but when I clayed my windows it didn't remove the water spots. For water spots on the body, I use Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Prep & Swirl Reducer. For stubborn spots you might have to do 2 or 3 repeat applications. My black truck stays outside on my driveway. Over time it's accumulated a good amount of stubborn waterspots. I spent the last 2 days (half days each) detailing it, still not finished, will wrap it up tomorrow. I tell you, removing those water stains will wear you out good! And I still can't get 100% of it out, probably like 90%. Good enough for the normal eye, but if you view at the right angle, you can still spot them. I'm just ****.

Anyone has suggestions for windows? I've tried Windex, auto glass cleaner, orange cleaner, clay, Meguiar's Prep & Swirl Reducer....nothing works. Tomorrow I'm thinking of trying Paint Thinner...gotta be careful with weather strippings and paint though.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmos
Anyone has suggestions for windows? I've tried Windex, auto glass cleaner, orange cleaner, clay, Meguiar's Prep & Swirl Reducer....nothing works. Tomorrow I'm thinking of trying Paint Thinner...gotta be careful with weather strippings and paint though.
Check here.
https://www.f150forum.com/showthread...ight=ACID+RAIN
Old 05-02-2009, 01:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Lenn, so SpotX didn't help either, huh?
I'll update if I find a solution, like someone said, it drives me nuts when the whole truck is detailed, nice and shiney...but the windows are an eye sore!

Quick Reply: Claybar