Topic Sponsor
Detailing & Cleaning Keep your Ford F150 Truck looking top notch! Discuss your cleaning and detailing tips here!

Best New Leather Treatment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 04:48 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Best New Leather Treatment?

I am picking up a new Blue Flame FX4 tonight, in my 2012 the leather is cracked pretty bad and the insert is "loose" for having just 20K miles on it.

I am looking to avoid this problem with my new one, looking for the best treatment, but I don't want one that leaves the "shiny" residue look.

Any input is GREATLY appreciated.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:38 PM

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Look into the Leather Master products by leather world tech. Auto Geek has some good info on this and other products as well.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:41 PM

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts

It's not real leather. I use vinyl treatment.
My 2012 had the cushion replaced yesterday at 10k miles. The tech broke trim pieces, scratched stuff up, and didn't even put the seat back together. I found a bunch of broken tabs laying in the floor under the seat. It pisses me off that you can't even take a vehicle to the dealership without them messing something up on it.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by BarryT82
It's not real leather. I use vinyl treatment.
My 2012 had the cushion replaced yesterday at 10k miles. The tech broke trim pieces, scratched stuff up, and didn't even put the seat back together. I found a bunch of broken tabs laying in the floor under the seat. It pisses me off that you can't even take a vehicle to the dealership without them messing something up on it.
It's actually coated leather which is why I recommended leather master
Old 06-13-2013, 08:26 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I had the seats on my lariat crack at 8k, I was told it was because I used leather conditioner and cleaner on the seat when in reality it's a vinyl based plastic leather. Luckily the dealer was helpful and swapped it out for me.
The only model f150 that needs real leather cleaner is the king ranch because it uses real leather, the rest of us should be using something like Mothers Protectant, which is for plastic and vynyl surfaces, no issues with my new cover after switching
Old 06-13-2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Robob
I had the seats on my lariat crack at 8k, I was told it was because I used leather conditioner and cleaner on the seat when in reality it's a vinyl based plastic leather. Luckily the dealer was helpful and swapped it out for me.
The only model f150 that needs real leather cleaner is the king ranch because it uses real leather, the rest of us should be using something like Mothers Protectant, which is for plastic and vynyl surfaces, no issues with my new cover after switching
I could certainly be wrong about my answer but what that dealer told you makes no sense at all unless they mean the oils in a leather conditioner cause the vinyl to deteriorate?

Anyhow what I suggested is a water based product that many detailers recommend for coated leather seats.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2013 with 6k miles doesn't look very good on the seat edges. Dealer agreed but said to just keep an eye on it. He said Ford won't replace until it looks worse. Only 3 months. I haven't used anything on it.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:33 PM

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts

Autogeek are your guys, they turned me on to a product Einszett leather care made specifically for coated leather interiors which the F150 has. The only vehicles with true uncoated leather are way out of my price range. I ordered a bottle from them and it is on the shelf in the garage to be tried out on my convertible vette, I have yet to apply it. However, researching around it had good reviews from other customers.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:11 PM

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Robob
The only model f150 that needs real leather cleaner is the king ranch because it uses real leather,
I'm no leather expert but i would swear my platinum is real leather
Old 06-13-2013, 08:26 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Red89gt
Autogeek are your guys, they turned me on to a product Einszett leather care made specifically for coated leather interiors which the F150 has. The only vehicles with true uncoated leather are way out of my price range. I ordered a bottle from them and it is on the shelf in the garage to be tried out on my convertible vette, I have yet to apply it. However, researching around it had good reviews from other customers.
This. I looked a long time for a product that specified it wouldn't clog perforated leather of my heated/cooled seats.

Quick Reply: Best New Leather Treatment?